Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Xenon dipped headlights inadequate

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Zikim

E85 Xenon dipped headlights inadequate

Post by Zikim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:30 am

I have a pre-facelift with factory fitted Xenon dipped/low beam lights. These are not as good for driving in the dark as they should be (from experience of other cars). Is there any upgrade that I can do for these or is there a problem with them?

pistol pete

Re: E85 Xenon dipped headlights inadequate

Post by pistol pete » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:59 am

Osram night breakers are a brilliant upgrade...

scotty597

Post by scotty597 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:05 am

I also have factory fitted xenons...they are poor for what they should be, compared to my Audi. From past comments its just the way they are. I think you can adjust them up a bit at the light (auto self leveling). Need to move it back down for MOT though.
2005 2.5i, with extras
2015 Audi A7 Bi Turbo ,2012 Kawaski GTR 1400, Suzuki GSXR 1100

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:55 am

Factory fitted xenons are just fine, especially when compared to halogens, they just suffer from being mounted low.

As posted above you can adjust them up slightly at the lights. They may well be set too low. In case you are not aware the self levelling just maintains them at the static setting position regardless of load, passengers, fuel, etc. so you have to adjust the lights themselves.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:32 am

When one of my xenon bulbs went, I upgraded mine to Osram Night breaker DS2 bulbs, seem a lot brighter. I also adjusted the beam up a couple of rotations and cleaned the lenses to remove the pitting. I find mine are great now...

When you say they are not as good as they should be,is it brightness, beam pattern, throw, or all?
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:44 pm

markeg wrote:When one of my xenon bulbs went, I upgraded mine to Osram Night breaker DS2 bulbs, seem a lot brighter. I also adjusted the beam up a couple of rotations and cleaned the lenses to remove the pitting. I find mine are great now...

When you say they are not as good as they should be,is it brightness, beam pattern, throw, or all?
It is basically lack of brightness and distance

EdButler

Post by EdButler » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:56 pm

My Z4's Xenons are fantastic... Your auto adjusters may be broken if they are focused very low and wont raise up. This can happen when changing suspension components.

You can disable them using INPA/BMWScanner, and manually adjust them higher. Just dont tell your MOT'er... :thumbsup:

Also give your lights a good polish.

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:35 pm

EdButler wrote:My Z4's Xenons are fantastic... Your auto adjusters may be broken if they are focused very low and wont raise up. This can happen when changing suspension components.

You can disable them using INPA/BMWScanner, and manually adjust them higher. Just dont tell your MOT'er... :thumbsup:

Mine is a 04 3.01 SE and does not have the auto-adjusters, it has a manual 0-1-2 rotary dial which I have set to 0 which puts them as high as they can go.

scotty597

Post by scotty597 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:23 pm

If you have an adjuster rotary dial on the dash, you dont have xenons. I believe xenons are auto self leveling only due to dazzle. Halogens have the manual adjuster. The other way to confirm it is under the bonnet. Should be a ballast each side and High Voltage stickers if they are still there.
2005 2.5i, with extras
2015 Audi A7 Bi Turbo ,2012 Kawaski GTR 1400, Suzuki GSXR 1100

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:24 pm

Zikim wrote:
EdButler wrote:My Z4's Xenons are fantastic... Your auto adjusters may be broken if they are focused very low and wont raise up. This can happen when changing suspension components.

Mine is a 04 3.01 SE and does not have the auto-adjusters, it has a manual 0-1-2 rotary dial which I have set to 0 which puts them as high as they can go.
Then you do not have xenon as per the title of your thread... You should clarify exactly what you have as a setup in order to get appropriate advice.

You'll get a improvement either by fitting brighter halogen bulbs or aftermarket HID's (unless you've already done this??). You'd probably need washers or fail MOT's, but that's down to interpretation and the tester.

Even though you have halogen you can still adjust the static settings at the headlights with the white hex adjusters.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:12 pm

scotty597 wrote:If you have an adjuster rotary dial on the dash, you dont have xenons. I believe xenons are auto self leveling only due to dazzle. Halogens have the manual adjuster. The other way to confirm it is under the bonnet. Should be a ballast each side and High Voltage stickers if they are still there.
I have just looked under the bonnet and can't see any ballast either side or high voltage stickers. The lights when turned on adjust upwards electrically and also have headlight washers. They also look like Xenons and not like a halogen bulbs. Are they Xenon or Halogen?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:18 pm

You have standard halogen headlights.

Posts above give you the options

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:52 am

I have just checked the headlight units and I have H7 stamped on the full beam lens and Ds2 H7 stamped on the dipped headlights lens. I am still confused about this?

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:24 am

You have halogens,

Get some osram nightbreker plus h7 bulbs for a slight improvement over stock :)
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:25 am

Ignore the stamps on the lens lens.

No auto level and no stickers equates to halogen.

Last check is to see of the lights take 1sec to get bright and flicker before you check bulbs..

However since with the age many things can be changed over the life, so ultimate check...

Simply Turn a wheel.open the inspection hatch in the arch and then unclip the rear light cover. If you see a bulb it's halogen, if a 2"square ignitior then xenon. Anything else may be aftermarket bulbs.