Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What are the symptoms of broken springs?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
pdk42

Post by pdk42 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi all - my newly acquired Z4 is showing horrible tramlining/instability at speed. It even shows traction control lamp flicker at speeds well below where I'd expect there to be any loss of grip. The car was OK when I got it (some minor tramlining, but nothing alarming) and all I've done is had some alloy refurb work done and replaced the rear tyres. So, I'm thinking (hoping) it's tyres and the kind Mr Wilks is entertaining me in the new year to try some alternative wheels/tyres. However, it did occur to me that I'd try to eliminate some other possibilities as well. I realise that steering/suspension geometry is high on the list, but I think I'll wait until after the tyre experiments until I do that. However, I was looking at the car earlier today and it seems a little higher on the nearside compared to the offside so my mind turned to possible spring failure. The car's done 64k miles and AFAIK, the springs are still the originals. Could failed springs cause stability problems?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm scratching my head as to what to do.

Thanks!!
2005 E85 Roadster 3.0l Black.

Geezah

Re: What are the symptoms of broken springs?

Post by Geezah » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:52 pm

My broken rear springs showed no symptoms and when replaced felt no difference. Ditching the run flats sorted the tramlining issues for me along with a couple of bushes.
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

Stratts

Post by Stratts » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:27 pm

It should be the same height on each side (within a few mm) so that is a sign of possible damage, although there could be other reasons. I had issues on a old E36 BMW with broken springs, and it ruined the handling of the car and as soon as I changed them it was ok again, but again this is just one possible issue.

It is really easy to check to be honest, probably a 10 minute job to put your mind at rest or confirm the issue.
2004 Z4 3.0i Auto
Sapphire Black / Red M Sport Leather / Eibachs / 108s / Poly Bushes / Vanos upgrade / Stubby

Amateur BMW Guru. If I don't know how to fix it, it's because I haven't broken it yet.
Diagnostics and coding services available.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:28 pm

As Geezah says pretty much no symptoms as just the end 2" breaks off. Most owners find out by hearing it crack and bits falling off or an MOT fail.

Probably time to renew all the front bushes and the wishbones and then get a proper 'Hunter' 4 wheel alignment done.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

henry1

Post by henry1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:58 pm

First time on previous zed it sounded like I had some spanners loose in the boot clanging away, on the second zed only found out at the mot.

DeanS

Post by DeanS » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:20 pm

for me, symptoms were an occasional popping noise coming from back end but it sounded more like a control arm issue and it was not constant. When you have the wheel off, the cracked coil spring becomes quite obvious.
On mine, I gained 5-7mm of height but evened out after I swapped both rear coils. Assuming they need to 'rest' before final level is met.

vester86

Post by vester86 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:36 am

flickering DSC light when not expected can also mean your steering wheel sensor is due to callibration. mine was 17 degrees off after an alignment, so the car was "thinking" it was in a corner but actually was driving straight. in some corners the ABS wheel sensors & the steeering wheel sensor didn't match at al thus let the DSC activate. all sympthoms gone after a reset