Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof won't lock down & liner catches lock.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
coriolis

Roof won't lock down & liner catches lock.

Post by coriolis » Sat May 30, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi Everyone.

So all of a sudden my roof decided it wasn't going to lock down properly when open. It just wont go that last 5 or 10mm, and with the slightest of pushes it locks in.
But even when it doesn't, the car thinks it's locked, because they red light does not flash. Ive noticed the liner also catches the lock behind the seats which will eventually damage the liner I'm sure.
Every now and again, it will lock in.
Ive taken off the plastic molding at the front of the roof and re fixed the plastic strip to the alloy cross member, so the liner is now nice and tight as it should be. Ive also lubed all the pivot points, and checked the micro switch in the boot.

Any ideas?

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Re: Roof won't lock down & liner catches lock.

Post by mr wilks » Sat May 30, 2015 6:51 pm

Is the front electric motor hidden behind rearview mirror working ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Sat May 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Do you mean the one thats in the top of the roof that works the latch when it locks down?
If so, it seems to be as I can see the latch in the roof move when it attempts to lock in. Its just that it does so when its above the latch !

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat May 30, 2015 8:49 pm

coriolis wrote:Do you mean the one thats in the top of the roof that works the latch when it locks down?
If so, it seems to be as I can see the latch in the roof move when it attempts to lock in. Its just that it does so when its above the latch !
Sounds like the hydraulic pump/cables aren't doing their full cycle , i was meaning the small motor that sits at the top of the windscreen & locks onto the pins extended from the roof but it sounds like your roof isn't even reaching that stage
Have you tried resetting the red handle in boot ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Sat May 30, 2015 9:30 pm

The motor that works the latch is fine. The roof opens and closes fine, and locks into the closed position as it should. It just wont lock into the open position.
But the only reason it wont is because it wont go down far enough (only a few mm short). When it gets to the bottom, the latch motor cycles, and the latch moves into the lock position, but because the latch is slightly above the bracket it latches into, it doesnt lock down. There are no flashing lights on the buttons at this point.
I cant help feeling like its being obstructed in some way. Ive tried to see if the fabric is folding badly, but it seems ok, apart from the lining catching the latch bracket as it passes. But again, I cant seem to figure out a way to stop this from happening :(

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat May 30, 2015 9:33 pm

Sorry i thought you meant it was short on the closing cycle
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat May 30, 2015 11:07 pm

slightly off topic, when opening/clossing the roof i have to hold the buttons all the time, should they not be a 1 touch operation?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat May 30, 2015 11:19 pm

Taz wrote:slightly off topic, when opening/clossing the roof i have to hold the buttons all the time, should they not be a 1 touch operation?
Nope, for that you need a gaptech :wink: I guess Woots never fitted one ?
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat May 30, 2015 11:23 pm

Bing wrote:
Taz wrote:slightly off topic, when opening/clossing the roof i have to hold the buttons all the time, should they not be a 1 touch operation?
Nope, for that you need a gaptech :wink: I guess Woots never fitted one ?
Andy has Wooten car, not Taz :poke:

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat May 30, 2015 11:45 pm

when i press and old the unlock key it attempted to open but it only opened an inch, i then had to put key in the ignition and do it oiff the button

i can't understand why the button is not a 1 touch operation :?

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:46 pm

There are a few threads on here about this issue, mine does it and its down to the roof fabric not folding right when its going down.
If you open the roof so far you will see the fabric which normally sits just to the rear of the side windows is folded in both sides, just pull them out then carry on folding the roof down, should lock into place then.

FWIW it doesn't matter if it doesn't lock into place, it will be fine and not move. The facelift model doesn't have the locking down mechanism.

Here you go, have a look at this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9058&hilit=ROOF+FOLD&start=15

Mine also has a mark where it catches the lock.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat May 30, 2015 11:51 pm

i don't think there is a problem with the mechansim, it folds neatly, the only issue is that i have to hold the button till the operation is complete, also it doesn't do it from the key

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat May 30, 2015 11:52 pm

You need a reinhold or gaptech module Taz, as Bing said.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat May 30, 2015 11:55 pm

ok srhutch, ok

but why did it attempt to open off the key, could have a module fitted that may be fault, where are these modules mounted?

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Sun May 31, 2015 12:18 am

1) Some face lifts do have the locking down mechanism, don't know why some do and some don't. Don't think it matters in the scheme of things.

2) The roof should open when holding down the unlock button on the keyfob, you have to keep the button held down the entire operation. it won't close however without gap tech etc.

3) There is no one touch operation with the standard equipment.

4) If your having problems it could be an issue with the programming. As standard it might not be the norm to be able to open the roof with the key. To program it you will need the BMW software or take it to a dealer/indie to sort it.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!