Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof won't lock down & liner catches lock.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Z4Lithuania

Post by Z4Lithuania » Thu May 11, 2017 10:10 am

It's me again. Probably I have watched all the videos in youtube about Z4 roof problems. :D

Here is what i found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YepZJiPdpR8
In this video, when the guy opens the roof, at 4:45 min, I can hear a nice "clicking" sound and the roof locks into place. Mine doesn't do that! I can't hear that sound, and I suppose that's why my light is flashing after some driving! Does it mean, that my lock, under plastic trim (see picture below) needs adjusting?
[IMG]http://www.part.lt/img/0a471ef69c81ab2a ... 1de115.jpg[/IMG]

Z4Lithuania

Post by Z4Lithuania » Sun May 14, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi guys.

The problem still persists... Here is what I found...

Yesterday I tried to leave the car for a night in garage, with a soft top down. Holding the open button, windows go half way down, roof unlocks, folds, red light stops flashing, windows go up. Seems like it's all good. In the morning, I turn the ignition on... Guess what? Red light started to flash again! I didn't even move the car for the whole night! Thought maybe roof unlocked by itself over night, so tried to pull it up a bit with hands, but there is no chances to move it, unless you push the manual release button.

So... It seems like it's closed, but in the end light indicates that it's not... What would you suggest, guys? :(

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Has to be a sensor out of line.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Z4Lithuania

Post by Z4Lithuania » Sun May 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Sgr74 wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 2:41 pm Has to be a sensor out of line.
Thank you for your reply.

You mean: "roof down position sensor"? Is it the one which is on the left side under the roof? Is it possible to get to it, without removing soft top? Or maybe it can be calibrated with computer?

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:15 pm

No idea I'm afraid.
Sorry.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sun May 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Z4Lithuania - check your parcel shelf is fully down, or that there is nothing on the shelf as that will stop the roof fully retracting. Also, if you have anything blocking the catch mechanism, it will stop it locking (perhaps some fabric?). The good news is that the roof doesn't need to click into place to be OK; as long as the lights are off the hydraulic pressure will hold the roof in place.

Just as an addition - some members remove the lock from the boot area (IIRC Bing did this with his non-M E85) as it is a source of rattles.
Last edited by markeg on Sun May 14, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sun May 14, 2017 5:52 pm

One other thing that comes to mind - if the roof is down, fully cycled and lights are out, then after leaving a while the light is on, I would suspect that the hydraulic pressure might be low? Have you relocated the motor to the boot yet - if you do that its easier to access and, especially, top up the hydraulic fluid.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Z4Lithuania

Post by Z4Lithuania » Mon May 15, 2017 7:26 am

Hello, thank you for replies.

My motor is still in original place, but that's an interesting idea about the pressure dropping... How can I be sure? Is there any easy way of checking it?

I'm still thinking about the hall sensor, any ideas how to check it works properly?

Today I'll post a video of how my roof works, maybe it will help you a bit.

Z4Lithuania

Post by Z4Lithuania » Tue May 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi, new day, new guesses. :)

Today I "solved" my issue. Hehe, exactly - "solved". :D See picture below:
[IMG]http://www.part.lt/img/a3dd788587f4bb06 ... 297253.JPG[/IMG]

I tried to remove roof lock, and "zip tie" the roof so it stays in place. After doing that, I have ridden about 50km with no flashing light! Also, I left the car with roof in that position for about 6-7 hours and even then - no flashing red light.

BUT, as soon as I untie it - same issue again.

Here is how my lock looks like:
[IMG]http://www.part.lt/img/53110eaa03b34b4f ... db0907.JPG[/IMG]

How can I fix the roof in that position as with zip ties? If I put the lock back, roof goes a bit more up, and, I guess, that's why I get the light flashing... Should I try to fold the lock to let the roof go further into it?