Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof won't lock down & liner catches lock.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: Roof won't lock down & liner catches lock.

Post by Bing » Sun May 31, 2015 8:51 am

Taz wrote:ok srhutch, ok

but why did it attempt to open off the key, could have a module fitted that may be fault, where are these modules mounted?
The gaptech is fitted under the ashtray - screw at the bottom of it that you need to undo, then you kind of tilt it towards the front of the car and up to get it out.

And sorry, too many cars bought lately, got confused. Of course inkey$ wouldn't have fitted one, he didn't have it long enough :lol:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sun May 31, 2015 9:28 am

Bing wrote:

but why did it attempt to open off the key, could have a module fitted that may be fault, where are these modules mounted?
The gaptech is fitted under the ashtray - screw at the bottom of it that you need to undo, then you kind of tilt it towards the front of the car and up to get it out.

And sorry, too many cars bought lately, got confused. Of course inkey$ wouldn't have fitted one, he didn't have it long enough :lol:

i will have a look for 1, cheers

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sun May 31, 2015 1:47 pm

so how do i remove the ash tray, i have removed 1 screw and the sah tray is now loose at the back, it feels stuck at the front, i don't like to pull things without being certain

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun May 31, 2015 3:02 pm

If I remember correctly it's hooked under at the sides of the front, if that makes sense. So you need to kind of roll it out, lifting the back up and towards the dash. If it has a gaptech you'll find it poked under the recess towards the dash, and the wires spliced / skotch locked into the loom.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun May 31, 2015 3:07 pm

Gaptech install instructions - with pictures :thumbsup:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attach ... 1309026407

Sorry to the OP for the thread hijack :oops:

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sun May 31, 2015 3:45 pm

You can open the roof via key if it's been coded to do so. If it doesn't go down by simoly pressing the down button on the dash once, you don't have a Gaptech module.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Sun May 31, 2015 6:05 pm

:headbang:

Tried to forget about these, but see a new purchase looming!
2016 F82 M4 Comp Pack, Mineral White
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2007 ZMR, Titanium Silver for sunny days
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:57 pm

AndyBeech wrote:1) Some face lifts do have the locking down mechanism, don't know why some do and some don't. Don't think it matters in the scheme of things.
Mine did... until the roof started rubbing on it there was no issue. Now there's an unsightly bit of wear. Think it started off as looking like a letter H pressed in - I thought it was just resting on something when down and leaving an imprint.

Needless to say I've taken the latch out and have had no adverse effects, just wish I'd done it sooner.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Z4Lithuania

Post by Z4Lithuania » Tue May 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Hello, and greetings from Lithuania.

I'm new on this forum and to Z4's too, so don't be very mean to me guys. :D

Let's start from that, a few weeks ago I bought a 2004 Z4, 2.2 liters engine, and now, when the weather is getting warmer I noticed that I have some problems with my soft top... My English is not very good, but I will try to do my best describing my problem and maybe we can solve it together.

So, when I lower the soft top everything seems to be OK (windows lowers by itself, motor starts opening the roof and it goes down, then motor stops, windows go back up, no lights are flashing), but if I take a short drive, red light between the roof buttons starts flashing. I stop the car, push the roof opening button once more, light goes out, and it starts flashing again, after a few mins in the road... It seems like I have a problem with soft top locking in open position. I tried to help it a bit with hands, and push down in a last few moments when its going down, but it doesnt help... Although, seems like it's locked, but not directly in a place where it should be (I can pull it up a bit only if I press the manual release button in centre console behind seats). Here is a picture below, how my soft top looks in "full open position". Isn't it a bit too high? What you think?
[IMG]http://www.part.lt/img/thumb/fcce6e770a ... 49f857.JPG[/IMG]

Also, does this part (picture below) even make any "clicking" sound when you lower the hood down and it locks into place? Because mine just sits in place without any "clicking" sound or something like that. I also tried to disconnect hydraulics and lower the top with hands, but the problem is still the same... Seems like it's locked, but after a few mins in a road light flashes again, like its unlocked, or not in place...
[IMG]http://www.part.lt/img/thumb/131d5c22f9 ... e1c982.JPG[/IMG]

I have read about incorrect folding of soft top, which can cause similar problems, so I took a few pictures, and compare it to one of your forum member. The folding seems good to me? What you think guys? (Pictures below).
[IMG]http://www.part.lt/img/thumb/b2a24603b9 ... c4b104.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.part.lt/img/thumb/3c06513c00 ... 4a0571.JPG[/IMG]

Also tried to take a look at micro swith in the trunk. Removed it, metal shaft is OK, moving nicely and pressing the switch without any problems, so I assume it works fine. I pull up parcel panel, Orange light lit up, and it didnt let to open the soft top, so I pressed the micro switch button (same thing as if you would do with lowering the parcel panel down) and the light went off, so I might say the switch is not broken, right? It responds as it should? Or maybe this switch has more functions?

Any help is appreciated. Sorry for long story, it's quite hard to describe my problem in English in a few words. :D But if you need any information or pictures just tell me.

Thank you.

Z4Lithuania

Post by Z4Lithuania » Tue May 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Sorry for double post, but I can't PM anyone in this forum yet, so I'll post here.

While using search, I found some similar topics, and in one of them there is a discussion about the same problem like mine.

This topic:
viewtopic.php?t=34204&start=30

In the middle of this discussion "Hunter" and "Craig3.2" is talking about some kind of "catch" which needs adjustment. Can anyone show me in picture what "catch" exactly are they talking about, because I'm a bit of confused. :(

Appreciate in advance.

wegras

Post by wegras » Tue May 09, 2017 10:07 pm

Try addressing your question to "ducklakeview" an outstanding purveyor of roof relocation and all things ROOF
You are unlikely to bring car to UK for some TLC ( tender loving care ) but he might give you a pointer or two to resolve your issue

ps ,your English is excellent
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

Z4Lithuania

Post by Z4Lithuania » Wed May 10, 2017 7:23 am

Thanks for your reply!

Too bad I can't send a personal message to him, hope he will read this topic, or forum administrator will let me send PM's. :D

EDIT: Yay, I already can contact forum members by PM's. Thank you.

wegras

Post by wegras » Wed May 10, 2017 9:20 pm

:D
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

Z4Lithuania

Post by Z4Lithuania » Thu May 11, 2017 7:51 am

Tried to PM a few guys about my issue, but no-one replied yet... :(

Also, tried to adjust soft top lock, under the plastic trim where the manual release button is. Tried to move that lock to different directions (back and forward), but nothing has changed... Roof goes down, light goes out, but after a short ride, red flashing light lights up again.

Personally, I think that when the roof is going to it's down position it should make some kind of "clicking" sound when it locks up? Is it correct?

Or maybe I'm having a problem with some kind of "down position sensor" which is so sensitive that de-activates from the vibration on the road? Is it possible to get to that sensor without removing soft top?

How to know if my roof folding is correct? It seems correct to me, but I have no idea how it should look like, there is no one near me with Z4's, so I can't compare to anyone. :(

Peterboroughdave

Post by Peterboroughdave » Thu May 11, 2017 9:02 am

I have exactly the same problem on my 2005 E85. Doesn't quick make the latch down and no red light, it used to work fine but has being playing up for about a year.

Mike (Ducklakeview) has said he can fix this whilst moving the roof motor in the boot,( current price is £80 plus travelling expenses were relevant). Work being done this weekend as part of the group roof motor move that Mike is doing this weekend in Peterborough (Cambridgeshire). Can update you after the event.

Dave