Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How do you turn off the Self Centering Steering?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Zikim

How do you turn off the Self Centering Steering?

Post by Zikim » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:03 am

Does anyone know how to turn off the self centering turning on the E85 using either INPA or DIS?
Last edited by Zikim on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How do you turn off the Self Centring Steering?

Post by sk93 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:18 am

self centering? isn't that done with alignment - i'm not aware of anything in the car electronics that does this..

certainly it is not something you can adjust with INPA, and i've not seen any option relating to it in DIS/SSS/NCSExpert
:zzzz:

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How do you turn off the Self Centering Steering?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:54 am

Does the OP mean the wheel centering naturally? If so I don't think it would be possible out of the box, that's a pretty fundamental change to the natural caster.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:22 am

As well the mechanical self centering of the steering (toe-in, castor, etc), the EPS system also adds to the self centering of the steering and it is this that I would like to turn-off if possible.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:23 am

Zikim wrote:As well the mechanical self centering of the steering (toe-in, castor, etc), the EPS system also adds to the self centering of the steering and it is this that I would like to turn-off if possible.
not seen it anywhere in the various systems as being configurable matey...
:zzzz:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:19 pm

Zikim wrote: the EPS system also adds
Ever tried to steer the car in contact mode 1 (so no running engine)?
Is that what you want to experience? :rofl:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:17 pm

GuidoK wrote:
I want to see if turning it off stops the twitchy steering/oscillation above 60mph. I remember last year reading somewhere that it could be done but unfortunately did not bookmark the internet page.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:25 pm

Have you got runflats on your zed? Changing to normal tyres removes a lot of the twitchiness :)
Regards

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:42 pm

Smartbear wrote:Have you got runflats on your zed? Changing to normal tyres removes a lot of the twitchiness :)
Regards
Yes, all things such as non run flats, correct tyre pressures, new bushes, alignment, etc have been done.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Zikim wrote:
GuidoK wrote:
I want to see if turning it off stops the twitchy steering/oscillation above 60mph. I remember last year reading somewhere that it could be done but unfortunately did not bookmark the internet page.
You cannot turn of the EPS.
Well... you can obviously (pulling the fuse or so), but that will only result in very heavy steering.
afaik there is no fine tuning.

If you're not satisfied with your steering response, an alignment (or different alignment) might help, or maybe something else is wrong.
There is probably a calibration method (in progman) for the steering that is used when you swap out the steering position sensor (thats used for the ESP/ABS). Maybe that can do some good if your car is electronically a bit off.

Note that the steering angle sensor is something different than the steering torque sensor that the EPS uses in order to regulate the EPS' electric motor.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:37 pm

If you're not satisfied with your steering response, an alignment (or different alignment) might help, or maybe something else is wrong.
There is probably a calibration method (in progman) for the steering that is used when you swap out the steering position sensor (thats used for the ESP/ABS). Maybe that can do some good if your car is electronically a bit off.
Note that the steering angle sensor is something different than the steering torque sensor that the EPS uses in order to regulate the EPS' electric motor.[/quote]

I have had the "correct" alignment for lowered sport suspension (my zed is 3.01 SE) and also have had Z4M alignment, both of which did not resolve the issue. I have also reset the steering angle sensor after alignment.

The E85 has active self centering through the EPS, just got to find out how to temporarily turn it off!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:57 pm

z4m alignment is not possible for the z4. You cannot get the required casterangle; the front wheel suspension is made up of completely different parts. The alignment report should make that evident.

I don't know if you can influence the software of the eps, but If you're shure that you can, you must be very handy/skilled with progman/Rheingold.

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:04 pm

I have just found the following at this link https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 1hlXKjmYnw

Default 4 - When the Steering Angle Sensor (LWS) input is defective, active return centering is deactivated

Seems like all I have to do is reset the steering angle sensor so that it is wildly off centre and I can temporarily switch the active return self centering off!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:31 pm

If you think it's that simple....

I'll look out to your questions about the fault codes and getting esp/abs up&running again.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:34 pm

I think that if the steering angle sensor is deactivated then the stability control is also non-functioning.
Just so you are aware & don't disappear through a hedge at speed :?
Regards

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold