Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Groan from steering

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Duckers26

Groan from steering

Post by Duckers26 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi all, new to the forum and wondered if anyone could help with a problem that has started with my 2004 Z4 2.5. Once the car has been driven for some time and is properly warm the steering makes a groaning noise and a slight tugging/vibration when maneuvering the car. It only does it when moving at very low speed, not when moving along and there are no warning lights.

Having read some of the posts on here it sounds like it may be something to do with the EPS and if that needs replacing it is very expensive. The car has the comprehensive BMW insured warranty on it still. It is a bit of an intermittant problem at the moment so I have not taken it to the dealer but I wondered if anyone had experience of making such a claim?

Thanks!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Groan from steering

Post by GuidoK » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:34 pm

sounds like this?

Lubricate the steering rack with bearing grease; the riggers that come out of it (remove the rubber boot):

Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Duckers26

Post by Duckers26 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:43 pm

GuidoK wrote:sounds like this?

Lubricate the steering rack with bearing grease; the riggers that come out of it (remove the rubber boot):

Yes, that's exactly it! Even the same amount of lock on the steering when yours did it. Thanks very much, I thought this was going to be a big problem but hopefully this is the cause. I was recommended this forum from Pistonheads and it's already delivered twice now!

Duckers26

Post by Duckers26 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:47 pm

Quick further question, did yours only do it when the car was warm through rather than cold? Is there any reason why that would be the case?

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:59 pm

I don't have this problem, but I know some people who do with z4's (but don't know if it's largely when warm).
It's not a common problem but it does happen and lubrication is almost always the answer.
Remove the clip from the rubber boot, lubricate and refit the boot with a jubilee clip or something like that.
BMW sells these specific hose clamps seperately:
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E85/E ... _tie_rods/

The bmw hoseclamp needs a special pair of hoseclamp crimping pliers to fit; it's a use once hose clamp, cv boot clamp style.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CV-JOINT-BOOT ... 0900097324

(but I guess you can just as easily fit a normal style of hoseclamp that you can tighten with a screwdriver)

I've seen this problem on other type of cars too though (but relatively rare though)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Rob_benton

Post by Rob_benton » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:03 pm

Before you start with the gators.
My Bmw Indy sprayed lube into the seal where the steering column shaft goes into the steering rack. That was 6 months ago and mine is perfect now. Once under the car, it's a 10 second job.

Mine used to do it only when hot by the way.
2005 Z4 3.0 Black, Zhp gear knob.

Rob_benton

Post by Rob_benton » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:05 pm

Mine used to do it driving through London in the traffic to a football game.

Sounded like a whale calling out for a sex buddy !!!

Duckers26

Post by Duckers26 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:46 pm

Rob_benton wrote:Mine used to do it driving through London in the traffic to a football game.

Sounded like a whale calling out for a sex buddy !!!
I'd say it was more sad than frisky!

Duckers26

Post by Duckers26 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:06 pm

Took a video in case it didn't perform for garage, this is the noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDfe-5Q ... e=youtu.be

Duckers26

Post by Duckers26 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:29 am

Just come back from garage who diagnosed the noise being heard/felt through front axle top mounts and said they should be replaced to stop it. As someone with zero mechanical knowledge I wanted a sense check that this sounds like a reasonable cause for noisy steering.

Thanks very much
Last edited by Duckers26 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:39 pm

Yes they can make noise too, alhough I imagine that would rather be a knocking or grinding noise.

If it's the cause or not is hard to tell from behind this computerscreen ;)
But my money is on the outgoing riggers of the steering rack.

But if the garage can solve the problem... they solve the problem. They do that with 'no cure no pay'?

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:00 pm

I like the sound of that plan, get them to put their money where their mouth is!
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Duckers26

Post by Duckers26 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:19 pm

I would still have to pay I think even if it doesn't solve it. I will ask them to do the greasing you describe as well.

Rob_benton

Post by Rob_benton » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:11 pm

Start with my spray as there's no labour involved ! Unless they charge for 10 seconds. Mines been fine for months now.

Duckers26

Post by Duckers26 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:48 am

It was done a week ago (I didn't post in case it started again!) and seems to have cured it. PMW were excellent, very professional and talked and showed you the problem. Can now swing about in carpark without everyone turning around!