Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sticky steering

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Sticky steering

Post by ovrkll » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Seems that this problem with some of the earlier Z4's has arisen again :x Since I helped out a fellow forum member out a while ago with researching the problem, I was asked again for help. Figured I would post the info I was able to dig up, for future reference by anyone else that may need it :)
They referenced PUMA case # 12229811 and replaced the steering column and EPS. Works great now.
PUMA #5403852
PUMA Case number: 5387507 - 3231091
BMW approved the replacement of E.P.S steering column, steering angle sensor and calibrate angle sensor EWS.

Submission of PUMA Case # 5161146
Replacement of Steering Column
32-30-6-772-421
Replacement of Bolt for Steering Column
23-30-1-094-716
Steering/Column/Gear replaced with Updated version Due to Binding.
Hope this info helps anyone that may develop this problem.
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sticky steering

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:35 pm

Nice one Ovrkll, very useful stuff there... I'll let you know how I get on.

What is PUMA exactly? Is it a BMW technical case system, or is it specific to BMW NA?
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:18 pm

Grrrr, spoke to them and apparently they have "never heard of this issue on a Z4"... Why do they ALWAYS come back with that line?

Anyway, they said I could book it in with them and they would take a look. He suggested giving the car to his head technician who lives half an hour away, so he could replicate it. I am not too happy about that, but I suppose it is an option.

My question is, as this seems to be caused by heat, I wonder if putting the heat on max would cause it to happen. This way I could heat her up and then show them first hand the issue.

What do you guys think? This has happened one time last winter, when I had the heating on, so it's a possibility.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:24 pm

Put the floor heater on hi speed and hi temp, after 45 minutes or so the steering should become sticky.

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:21 pm

Not sure what PUMA stands for, but it pertains to a technical/engineering problem that is left to BMW to assess and determine the proper fix, which usually entails warranty/goodwill measures for resolution (i.e. manufacturers defect :D ).

Apparently the BMW techs can access the PUMA cases and find out the resolution, if they have half a mind to actually do some research :roll:

Good luck!
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:28 pm

MarkC wrote:Put the floor heater on hi speed and hi temp, after 45 minutes or so the steering should become sticky.
Yeah, tried that on the journey home but couldnt take the heat even with the window open. Will try it without me in the car for half an hour or so, then take it for a spin. If I can replicate that it does definitely do it then I will be happy to book it in with BMW in York.

Caddyshk

Post by Caddyshk » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:49 pm

ovrkll wrote:Not sure what PUMA stands for, but it pertains to a technical/engineering problem that is left to BMW to assess and determine the proper fix, which usually entails warranty/goodwill measures for resolution (i.e. manufacturers defect :D ).

Apparently the BMW techs can access the PUMA cases and find out the resolution, if they have half a mind to actually do some research :roll:

Good luck!
PuMa is a worldwide BMW database of all reported problems and tech solutions when one has been found successful. I believe they use it in concert with TSB's.

PuMa - Product and Measures Management Aftersales
2006 Z4MC IB - LL93158
SS Race M, RE X Pipe, FS Headers/DFK Sec 1, OE STB, DZ CDV, AS SS, GC CoilOvers, SP FCAB, RE RTAB, VT Engine Mts, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC, RE Clutch Stop, RE Tran Mounts, LeatherZ MSB, Tekarbon Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS

christian915

Post by christian915 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:04 am

I currently have this problem also. I took my car to Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, California and they wouldnt fix it under warranty. They wanted to charge me $800 to fix the problem. They said it was a normal wear and tear problem that warranty does not cover.

I would really like to get this taken care of. Is this really a normal wear and tear problem or are they BS'n me?

Any suggestions????

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:19 am

christian915 wrote:I currently have this problem also. I took my car to Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, California and they wouldnt fix it under warranty. They wanted to charge me $800 to fix the problem. They said it was a normal wear and tear problem that warranty does not cover.

I would really like to get this taken care of. Is this really a normal wear and tear problem or are they BS'n me?

Any suggestions????
No, it is not normal wear and tear... thet ended up redesigning the part due to the problem that was experienced with it, hence it only seems to happen on <2004 cars. Certainly I would've thought warranty would have covered it, in fact I would've thought there was a chance of a good will gesture from BMW even if it was out of warranty (although not seeing that so much anymore)

I compiled a list of threads about this yesterday and I will start a thread listing the individual instances, along with the dealer name and the outcome. I doubt it will get us anywhere, but it will be a good thread to print out when approaching the dealership about this.

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:42 am

Jim: If you want to do a search on my 'sticky steering' issues, you may find some useful info. there. I had that same awful and VERY scary problem on my way home from HC a couple of years ago. I wont bore y'all with the details, but if you need any other info. than what you can find on a search, PLEASE let me know and I will be more than happy to tell you how I dealt with that same 'ol line of: "Sorry. Never heard of THAT problem before" bullshit :wink:
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"

Zed

Post by Zed » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:20 pm

Guys, I've had a "sticky steering" problem where the steering appears/feels to go to full lock after a 1/4 turn. Once this happens you can turn the wheel again...this was weird!

Later found that the tyre pressures had dropped about 5 PSI, once corrected it hasn't happened since (touch wood).

First time it happened the car was cold, 2nd time it was fully heated after a fairly long journey.

Is this related or just down to pressures?
'04 Silver Z4 3.0i, leather, foldy mirrors, key opperated top, Carver, BT, MFSW, Clear light pack, red callipers, Cruise, K&N filter

dario

Post by dario » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:43 pm

I have a 2004 3.0 and have had the steering box changed already in 2005 when the waring light came on twice. i convinced them of this by filming the light on whilst i was driving the car. non of this we cant recreate the instance BS for me.

now i had the very same problem when driving with the top down the other night in london (tunnel run)

its just at the dead ahead position and provides a little notchyness either side of center. most prominent when going up the motorway and you need to make those little minor corrections on the wheel to keeo the car going where you want.

it frustrated me to hell. so much so that i decided to sell the car as i was sick and tired of teh way the steering feels. ( i have a 335d coupe with old fashioned hydraulic streering and this has more feel the the EPS of the Z4)

i dont really know how to get this resolved. i have extended warrenty for a third party but this type of warrenty normally only works when "it has broken", still i suppose i could just use it in the spring and summer. drove all over europe this year an not a problem at all.

worst bit is that the E92 steering has left me feeling unfulfilled every time i grab hold of the Z4 steering wheel.

drove and Z4M and it was just fantastic in comparison to the Z4's wooden steering feel.

hope they dont balls up the next Z4 steering in the same way!

Dario

Crusoe

Post by Crusoe » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:05 pm

Bump for an old thread, just had mine back after a month off the road while my 108s were sent off for refurb. 3hr drive with the heater on and roof down, few minutes from home the steering went all sticky either side of straight ahead. Turn it a little nothing then you give a bit more force and it turns too fast. Thought it was a puncture, feels like a flat moving against around.

Got out to check but pressures all round were fine. Back in the car going slowly now with window down to listen, roof back up and heater off. Problem seems to have disappeared, suggesting it's the same issue as others in this thread.

One off issue with heater on and driving for a long time that went when it cooled down, or do I have to go back to the dealer again for what must be the 15th or more time?

mikesps

Post by mikesps » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:52 pm

POSSIBLE SOLUTION

My wife's Z4 has been unused for over a month, and when I drove it today, it had the same issue. A very tight feeling from straight ahead. I assumed it was the dreaded dead steering rack.

My local mechanic lubricated the universal joint in the steering column and the stiffness disappeared.
I was all set to shell out for a new rack.

Hope your's is the same problem.

Mike

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:06 pm

hmmm, interesting... is that something we can get to, or is it a job for the garage?