Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag light on - Have you been affected? (UK)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
TrickyTris

Re: Airbag light on - Have you been affected? (UK)

Post by TrickyTris » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Add me to the list.

Airbag light came on about a month ago. :thumbsdown:

Being an ex-Alfa Romeo owner, I have chosen to ignore this light as figured it was yet another random error code that just needs clearing.

Perhaps I should start to worry about this then!

ZLuke

Post by ZLuke » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:15 pm

What software do you guys recommend buying to remove this dreaded light? So long as its not a fortune
Z4 E85 SILVER 2.2 SE

Fighting to keep my Z alive - Stay tuned

Nelly Welly

Post by Nelly Welly » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:43 pm

Mine has just decided to come on, anyone suggest what I can check to find which bit us causing the issue ?
:o
Lost in space, found in a dustbin........

2005 Z4 2.2
2011 318 d Estate Recalled and repaired - Update: Turbo blown new one about to get fitted.... :headbang:
2008 2.0d Mondeo Estate Gone but not forgotten
2008 TDV6 Discovery 3 HSE

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:03 pm

RLFILMSCO wrote:Picked up car 2 nights ago... Airbag light came on the first night :( taking back to point of sale to sort. I'm reading that the
Bags won't deploy AT ALL with this light on? A little worrying
Where do people find this information?

If you read the BMW data specifically for the airbag SIS/safety system it has flow charts for exactly what will/won't happen in the event of an accident irrespective of error codes.

Obviously if the light has come on and the fault is a sensor directly related to the detection of a rapid deceleration (a crash), then maybe it'll impact airbag deployment.

However if it's just the seat sensors or related stuff, all the system will do is do a full triggering rather than a partial one based on occupancy.

The goal of many of the systems is to reduce the severity of deployments (based on deceleration/speed), or not deploy them at all if not required (ie, no one present in the seat)

Having the occupancy sensor not working, and a warning light on, simply means the airbags at the passenger side will trigger even when the seat is empty, thus saving you or the insurer £££ on replacing them after a crash.

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

TrickyTris

Post by TrickyTris » Fri May 15, 2015 11:13 am

TrickyTris wrote:Add me to the list.

Airbag light came on about a month ago. :thumbsdown:

Being an ex-Alfa Romeo owner, I have chosen to ignore this light as figured it was yet another random error code that just needs clearing.

Perhaps I should start to worry about this then!
Update...

I wasn't being silly in just ignoring the light. Turns out it was nothing more than a random error code. Will @ TWG Automotive cleared it for me, got it through its MOT and its been fine ever since.

Proper result! :D

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:20 pm

I just managed to clear my airbag light using INPA and a cable from bcables.com :thumbsup: I went through the sub menus in the safety module section and one of them had 4 errors. God knows what it said (it's in German), but it obviously worked as the light is now off.

I just hope it stays off now!

Well worth the £26.99.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

PaulJD

Post by PaulJD » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:29 pm

Just bought a :cry: 2003 3.0se it had been sat in previous owners garage for 3 weeks I drive it home and airbag light stays on. Awesome! :cry:

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:22 pm

Don't be afraid. I worried about it too, but as above, I bought the cable and software from Bmcables.com and it took 10 minutes to turn it off. It hasn't been back on since :thumbsup:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Z4 - Kev

Post by Z4 - Kev » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:35 pm

My air bag light has been on for the past six months. :cry:

I brought a code reader off of eBay but no success.

Seems like I need the bcables.com item. I'm no computer wiz-kid whatsoever, so struggle with stuff like this. With the bcables & software set up, do I need anything else? I don't own a laptop, just a home PC and mobile phone.

If anybody near to me (Kingston upon Thames) could help me out I'd be more than willing to pay for your time, etc. :thumbsup:

Any comments / help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Kev.

Freddy07

Post by Freddy07 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:38 pm

I have been affected 2007 3.0Si mfg late 2006

rpc_25

Post by rpc_25 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:26 pm

I bought my car at the end of March and the light came on, on the journey home. I've had it reset at an Independent garage, for it to come on the next day.
I've had an auto electric clean connections and reset, came back on. Had the airbag module fitted by auto electrician, didn't work. Had the seat out, checked battery terminals by same auto electrician. He's all but washed his hands of it. Can anyone help? I'm not for throwing hundreds of pounds at it. Takes the gloss off getting a new car, hugely.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:28 pm

rpc_25 wrote:I bought my car at the end of March and the light came on, on the journey home. I've had it reset at an Independent garage, for it to come on the next day.
I've had an auto electric clean connections and reset, came back on. Had the airbag module fitted by auto electrician, didn't work. Had the seat out, checked battery terminals by same auto electrician. He's all but washed his hands of it. Can anyone help? I'm not for throwing hundreds of pounds at it. Takes the gloss off getting a new car, hugely.

do you know the fault code it generated? which airbag module as if it was a new one then you have to install it via BMW software (SSS v32) in the retrofit section, you need to have the old part number and the new one, that's because the units need to be coded to the car as it hold the mileage info.

If it not that then i could be the seat occupancy mat in the passenger seat, cheap fix is buy bypass plug off ebay for about £10 and code the car to switch of the seatbelt reminder chime.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

rpc_25

Post by rpc_25 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:10 pm

Sorry, I meant that I tried the seat occupancy bypass was introduced. It didn't work.
The car is a 2005 2.5i SE.

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:02 pm

rpc_25 wrote:Sorry, I meant that I tried the seat occupancy bypass was introduced. It didn't work.
I got one of theses, cleared the fault after I found the option in the menus.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161820815636
A Dirty M///

rpc_25

Post by rpc_25 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:58 pm

Yorkie Z wrote:
rpc_25 wrote:Sorry, I meant that I tried the seat occupancy bypass was introduced. It didn't work.
I got one of theses, cleared the fault after I found the option in the menus.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161820815636
Was that cleared using INPA or an independent garage?