Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

"Reduction in price to move hood motor into boot"

Discount codes and service & product offerings from forum members
stevengude

Post by stevengude » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:09 pm

Just got back to chesterfield! Fantastic job by dave and his son. Despite 2 complications - having to cut the release wire as stratstone had wrapped it round the motor and the switch that stops the roof going down when the shelf is up being broken.

Very pleased with the job - best £80 ive spent!

Thanks dave and cherrym
Attachments
20161011_150252.jpg
20161011_150252.jpg (45.46 KiB) Viewed 4888 times
20161011_150302.jpg
20161011_150302.jpg (49.21 KiB) Viewed 4888 times

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:30 pm

Booked in for Monday 31st :thumbsup:
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:39 pm

markplant wrote:Booked in for Monday 31st :thumbsup:
You won't be disappointed Mark, its a great feeling once its relocated to where it should have been in the first place :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

brazenskies

Post by brazenskies » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:44 am

Another satisfied customer! Dave and his son and mates are legends and restored my faith in humanity!

Job done and dusted in about 40 mins.

Good news for me is that the motor was 100% bone dry and was even dusty so it's never seen a drop of water in its life :)
Attachments
IMG_3413.JPG
IMG_3413.JPG (153.94 KiB) Viewed 4821 times
IMG_3412.JPG
IMG_3412.JPG (140.54 KiB) Viewed 4821 times
IMG_3411.JPG
IMG_3411.JPG (120.73 KiB) Viewed 4821 times
IMG_3410.JPG
IMG_3410.JPG (198.17 KiB) Viewed 4821 times

edg3

Post by edg3 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:20 pm

So my motor seems to have stopped working :( Only had the car since June!

Pressing the button, the windows go down, the roof unlatches successfully, and then the second motor kicks in, but simply makes a faint whirring noise - you can hear it struggle and the roof moves by about an inch then completely stops. To me this means it is the motor itself, as the shelf is lowered, and it's getting past the microswitch stage as the windows lower and the roof unlatches.

Is it worth me heading over to Sunderland (I'm in Chester, so ~180 miles) to see if it can be recovered at the same time as moving it into the boot? Or am I better off taking it elsewhere?
Image Image
2006 Imola Red Z4M

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:40 pm

edg3 wrote:So my motor seems to have stopped working :( Only had the car since June!

Pressing the button, the windows go down, the roof unlatches successfully, and then the second motor kicks in, but simply makes a faint whirring noise - you can hear it struggle and the roof moves by about an inch then completely stops. To me this means it is the motor itself, as the shelf is lowered, and it's getting past the microswitch stage as the windows lower and the roof unlatches.

Is it worth me heading over to Sunderland (I'm in Chester, so ~180 miles) to see if it can be recovered at the same time as moving it into the boot? Or am I better off taking it elsewhere?
Definitely worth the trip, although I'd go to Durham, not Sunderland :) I went up from Lincolnshire (170 miles each way), well worth the money. :thumbsup: Dave may be able to rescue the motor, or replace it; even if it is replaced and fails afterwards it's cheaper and easier to replace!
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

edg3

Post by edg3 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:44 pm

markeg wrote:Definitely worth the trip, ,although I'd go to Durham, not Sunderland :) I went up from Lincolnshire (170 miles each way), well worth the money. :thumbsup:
Don't know where I got Sunderland from, could've sworn I'd read that in one of the threads!

I've just got off the phone to Dave, and he said they've had quite a few in that weren't working (not just ones doing it for preventative measure) and they've so far managed to get every one of them sorted. Of course there's no guarantees until it's looked at, but it sounds more promising than I thought. Going to get back to me with a day he's available next week and I'll see if I can wangle it off work to head up!
Image Image
2006 Imola Red Z4M

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:46 pm

edg3 wrote:
markeg wrote:Definitely worth the trip, ,although I'd go to Durham, not Sunderland :) I went up from Lincolnshire (170 miles each way), well worth the money. :thumbsup:
Don't know where I got Sunderland from, could've sworn I'd read that in one of the threads!

I've just got off the phone to Dave, and he said they've had quite a few in that weren't working (not just ones doing it for preventative measure) and they've so far managed to get every one of them sorted. Of course there's no guarantees until it's looked at, but it sounds more promising than I thought. Going to get back to me with a day he's available next week and I'll see if I can wangle it off work to head up!
pm cherrym as well, he'll try to meet up at Dave's place :thumbsup:
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:04 pm

Weather is looking good for Tuesday when myself and Smartbear are making the trip from South Essex to get our motors relocated.
280 miles each way so we are taking our wives and stopping off overnight, so we can take in some of the scenery while up there, and of course some of the local roads :wink: :driving:

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

brazenskies

Post by brazenskies » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:09 pm

I drove down from Edinburgh today. Fortunately my sister lives in Darlington so the overnight stay is a good shout!

I drove back today feeling like I was in a new car :)

Marius

Post by Marius » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:25 am

Stuartt wrote:Weather is looking good for Tuesday when myself and Smartbear are making the trip from South Essex to get our motors relocated.
280 miles each way so we are taking our wives and stopping off overnight, so we can take in some of the scenery while up there, and of course some of the local roads :wink: :driving:

Stuart
Thanks crazy, it's simple enough job you do your self, would never drive 280miles for a fix

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:00 am

Marius wrote:
Stuartt wrote:Weather is looking good for Tuesday when myself and Smartbear are making the trip from South Essex to get our motors relocated.

Stuart
Thanks crazy, it's simple enough job you do your self, would never drive 280miles for a fix
Crazy? It's a fiddly job that plenty of people have had problems with, nothing wrong wth using someone's expertise & experience while combining it with a days drive, it would be crazy to struggle doing it yourself :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Lanky Lancs Lad

Post by Lanky Lancs Lad » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:09 pm

Smartbear wrote:
Marius wrote:

Stuart
Crazy? It's a fiddly job that plenty of people have had problems with, nothing wrong wth using someone's expertise & experience while combining it with a days drive, it would be crazy to struggle doing it yourself :thumbsup:
Rob
Totally agree, went today only 260 mile round trip, awesome roads all the way. :driving:
Dave and his crew did a brilliant job on the motor move and fitted my Gaptech too all for £80 in 45 mins. :thumbsup:
Great cafe close by too. :thumbsup:

The only crazy bit is thinking about doing it yourself....
3.0si Roady '07 Individual Model,
He who has most toys wins....

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:20 pm

Lanky Lancs Lad wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
Marius wrote:
Rob
Totally agree, went today only 260 mile round trip, awesome roads all the way. :driving:
Dave and his crew did a brilliant job on the motor move and fitted my Gaptech too all for £80 in 45 mins. :thumbsup:
Great cafe close by too. :thumbsup:

The only crazy bit is thinking about doing it yourself....
That's great :thumbsup:
We managed about 700miles over the 2 days what with the drive out to the Hartside cafe, then the dales on the way home.
More than worth the effort :D

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

r0bb0

Post by r0bb0 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:20 pm

Another happy customer. Durham dave relocated the motor today despite the pipes being tangled. Big thanks to cherry for posting Dave's details up on the forum.