Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My second replacement roof motor in 4 years??

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
stevecbrz4

Post by stevecbrz4 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi all

The Z is back in the dealership after ditching all its hydraulic fluid from the roof motor last week. :( The motor was fitted just 4 years ago, just 8,000 miles! :o Then 2 years ago new hydraulic cables were fitted. Now I'm being told by the dealer that the motor has failed again!

I took some photos, everything looks so clean and new, no sign of water ingress. I've told them I'm not happy to be facing a 'third' roof off scenario and they are now thinking about discounts and letting me know on Monday. Because the parts are over two years old I'm being told there's no chance of BMW contributing. :( Any tips guys to save me some money?

Thanks all,

Steve
Attachments
IMG_0003_2.jpg
IMG_0003_2.jpg (116.01 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
IMG_0002_2.jpg
IMG_0002_2.jpg (99.93 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
IMG_0005_2.jpg
IMG_0005_2.jpg (117.76 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
IMG_0007_2.jpg
IMG_0007_2.jpg (120.98 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
Z4 2.5si. Addictive straight six howl. Montego Blue. 18" 135Ms. M pack. It has to be a roadster.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat May 21, 2016 1:25 pm

Why have they taken the interior out :?

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sat May 21, 2016 3:38 pm

So if your electric motor didnt suffer from water and it's still shiney, why did it stop working?

Is it an electrical issue (dont hear the motor spinning) or a hydraulic issue?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

stevecbrz4

Post by stevecbrz4 » Sun May 22, 2016 7:47 pm

srhutch wrote: Why have they taken the interior out
I have no idea! I wonder whether they really know what they are doing! Is this a job which can be done much cheaper? I'm being quoted £1700.
GuidoK wrote: So if your electric motor didnt suffer from water and it's still shiney, why did it stop working?

Is it an electrical issue (dont hear the motor spinning) or a hydraulic issue?
It's a hydraulic issue. The motor coughed up all its fluid, leaving a leak under the nearside rear wheel. Should these motors last years?

Thanks guys

Steve
Z4 2.5si. Addictive straight six howl. Montego Blue. 18" 135Ms. M pack. It has to be a roadster.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sun May 22, 2016 8:16 pm

I can understand that if it's a hydraulic issue, that you get the complete roof out.
If you just get the motor out, you only have half the chance that you find the leak as you only see the pump/reservoir and part of the lines.
It could just as well be a leak further down the line (in the lines or 1 of the actuators).
Also if you want to fix it and get just the motor out through the boot, you can only fix it if its the pump/reservoir or the fittings to that pump.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:19 pm

Could be that cylinder's failed (seal gone). You can get rebuilt ones like this:
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/55-bmw-z4
or there may be a place in the UK doing them?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

cherrym

Post by cherrym » Sun May 22, 2016 11:26 pm

If you are down south why dont you contact Bowser or if able to get to Co.Durham try Dave who is in my post.
[*]Sold,Silver grey 2007 2.5si Sport convertible.previous 03 2.7boxter,2.0 MX5,Golf R,2.9Boxster,golf gti,Now Z4 e23i and M135i

gasman

Post by gasman » Tue May 24, 2016 9:39 pm

:withstupid:
Dave from this topic http://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... f&start=45
seems to relocate the motor for a bargainprice of £80
2008 Z4 3.0si

Gareth161

Post by Gareth161 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:56 pm

Did I read correctly above that you can get to the roof motor through the boot?
I always assumed that if my roof motor packed up then it would be roof off job

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Wed May 25, 2016 12:00 am

Gareth161 wrote:Did I read correctly above that you can get to the roof motor through the boot?
I always assumed that if my roof motor packed up then it would be roof off job
Yes you can get it through boot search roof relocation on the forum :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

barneybear

Post by barneybear » Mon May 30, 2016 10:11 am

srhutch wrote:Why have they taken the interior out :?
So they can charge additional labour - How else would the fund their christmas party?

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Tue May 31, 2016 9:06 am

£1700 is a stupid amount to pay the pump is only a few hundred so its a lot of labour their clocking on the job and who knows the work their doing ain't going to fail again later. Was the pump a genuine bmw or aftermarket replaced on times before? I'd expect a genuine pump to last many years and it shouldn't fail unless poorly maintained (water ingress etc). I work for Volvo Uk in warranty dept you should contact BMW PR team and explain what's going on. They should have what's called a goodwill act part of their warranty policy. Although the pump is outside the warranty period they still have be seen to help even if they don't pay all of the bill. Contact their PR team and let them know members now having to locate these pumps in the boot for their own benefit due to bmw's poor design at their own cost. This isn't a small problem its so big bmw should have really done a recall to modify the pump housing better but that would cost too much so its no surprise they hide the fact. I had E46 convertible for many years the cars was 15yrs old and never had any issue on forums with roof pumps the same pump is used for Z4. Don't stand for it kick up a fuss with the PR keep and us posted

stevecbrz4

Post by stevecbrz4 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:50 pm

Update.

Great news. I discovered that the hydraulic lines had been incorrectly fitted two years and two weeks ago (just outside two year warranty!) and had been fouling in the roof mechanism. There were pinch and kink marks in the lines - meaning the motor was having to work extra hard to push the hydraulic fluid through. Result: motor failed. I noticed the wording they were using to explain why the parts needing replacing and pointed out that two year old hydraulic lines 'should not kink' if properly fitted. The dealer accepted that poor workmanship was to blame and agreed to pay all costs to replace all parts!!! I was delighted. Picked the car up last week, all seems fine. The roof now operates 'very' smoothly, even better than before. I'm a much happier bunny!!

I'm now thinking of an after market warranty plan to protect me in the future - has anyone done this, any recommended providers?

Cheers. :D

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:29 pm

Good news at last, I would steer clear of that garage for any future work you have carried out though-they don't sound the best :oops:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:53 am

Great news. I wouldn't worry about a warranty though just for the roof. It can be sorted for a lot less than dealers charge, so you're better off banking the money each month into a rainy day fund.