Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag Light Issue Help Please

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
AndyS

Post by AndyS » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:45 am

Hi.
Recently I had my airbag light come on randomly.
I asked for advice on here about a code reader/reset tool and ended up buying the C110.
It reset my light and I thought the problem was solved but......
My airbag light still randomly comes on (more frequently now) but can always be reset.
Sometimes it stays off for a few days. Sometimes it's back on at every start of the car.
There must be a fault somewhere but I don't know where to look and wondered if anyone here had any advice.
The code I get is - 98D5 Resistance, firing circuit, front airbag, right (E85), or passenger airbag (E6x), stage 2, too high.
Any advice or hints of what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this is relevant but I recently had the alarm tilt sensor replaced so is it possible some of the airbag wiring was disturbed in fitting the new tilt sensor? Just a thought as the airbag issue appeared shortly after the tilt sensor was replaced.

Thanks,
Andy
2016 Alpine White E89 20i M Sport

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:13 pm

I found this on another site and it worked for me.... all i had to do is straighten the wire as it had gotten crimped somehow.....

Airbag SRS light (Code 98D5) FIX

I have posted this information in another post, however as it appears to be a common issue I thought I'd start a new post.

I have had an Airbag, Safety Restraint System (SRS) problem for a few months, and spent (wasted) a lot of time buying a replacement SBRS module (and time coding it), checking cables, connectors, reseting error code endlessly etc etc.

If you have INPA or similar, and the module that reports the error is the SBRS with a code of 98D5 high resistance (or 98D4 low resistance), then this may help.

Basically when you insert your key, one of the many checks that are carried out is a check of the many firing circuits of the SRS and airbags. You will notice the airbag light staying on for a few seconds whilst checks (resistance) are carried out, then it should extinguish. In my case it didn't and was associated with the 'BONG' and error message.

After lots of searches and translation of German INPA messages, the 98D5/4 codes do not refer to airbags or SRS systems but a safety circuit on the cars battery terminal that will 'blow' if you are in a crash and disconnect the battery.

Once I had realised this, I located it (2 thin black wires that connect to a plastic housing (firing block) on the +ve terminal of the cars battery), re-seated it and bingo, fault code now clears and warning lights/messages stay off.

Obviously battery needs to be disconnected before any work carried out on airbags/SRS system.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:32 pm

Thank you for your reply.
The information you have given was originally posted in the 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) forum on Bimmerfest.
It's possible it might apply in some way to the E85 but given the description of the error code in the C110 differentiates between the E85 and the E6x, it might not.
I have tried this though, straightening the two thin black wires and re-seating the connector multiple times, all to no avail.
I do however think it's a wiring fault or poorly seated connector somewhere.
Does anyone know if there is airbag/SRS wiring which might be disturbed in replacing the tilt sensor in the alarm system or even where the tilt sensor is located so I can have a look in that area?
Thanks again for your help
Andy
2016 Alpine White E89 20i M Sport

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:07 pm

Tilt sensor is located somewhere centrally to the left of the cubby hole. Have you ever had blocked roof drain holes as the airbag module can get wet and cause faults.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

PBandeira

Post by PBandeira » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi AndyS

Sorry for necroposting, but I was wondering if you found the problem with your 98d5?

I've got a 98d4 on mine and I was wondering if you could shed some light?

cheers

Patrick