Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof motor relocation in boot - Help in Sussex Area??

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jamesfr

Post by jamesfr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 am

Hi,

My soft top has been working fine since I had the car - always quick and quiet with no signs of any problems... I have cleaned drains and checked water flows from both sides...

A couple of days ago without warning it pack up completely and won't shut. I would have expected to have the roof slow down or something before just going dead?? Had not rained for a few days either. Bowden cable now released and in manual mode but I need to get it sorted...

I was wondering if there was anyone in the Sussex area that has changed a motor and relocated into the boot to fix the problem from returning. I know there's Dave in County Durham but that's a 14/15 hour round trip for me, hopefully there is someone much nearer.

How can I tell the motor is cooked without removing the hood? How successful are motor revivals or am I much better off biting the bullet and replacing?

Z4 2004 3.0l
Black with red interior

wegras

Post by wegras » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:16 am

Do a search for Bowser134 or pm him ,Ross is in Hook just North of Basingstoke and is I believe a BMW technician
Excellent feedback as you might expect
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:06 pm

+1 above
What lights are you getting when you press the roof button as it may not be the motor.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

jamesfr

Post by jamesfr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:21 pm

wegras wrote:Do a search for Bowser134 or pm him ,Ross is in Hook just North of Basingstoke and is I believe a BMW technician
Excellent feedback as you might expect
Thanks will do!
Z4 2004 3.0l
Black with red interior

jamesfr

Post by jamesfr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:24 pm

firebobby wrote:+1 above
What lights are you getting when you press the roof button as it may not be the motor.
With the storage shelf in the higher position I get just a solid light on the roof open button, with it in the correct lower position the light just flashes. The roof releases and lock ok just doesnt close. When you open it it is very, very slow like its the weight of the roof that is closing it.

How do i check its the motor??
Z4 2004 3.0l
Black with red interior

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:34 pm

jamesfr wrote:
firebobby wrote:+1 above
With the storage shelf in the higher position I get just a solid light on the roof open button, with it in the correct lower position the light just flashes. The roof releases and lock ok just doesnt close. When you open it it is very, very slow like its the weight of the roof that is closing it.

How do i check its the motor??
The shelf up , is to give you a little more boot space and the solid non flashing light is telling you that the roof cannot fold down into the shelf because it's in the high position . This is what it's supposed to do . When the shelf is in the down position this is the only position the roof can operate with , ie having enough room to fold into because the shelf is down . So if the roof Unlatches and the Windows drop then it's trying to fold , but the unlatching and Windows dropping are different motors , the fact that they are working and you now have a flashing light is a pretty good sign that the main motor has failed ..

You can't check the motor unless you remove it from its housing which is tucked away down the back of the left hand door pillar/ wheel arch .

It can be removed from this position and the motor in most cases can be revived and then general school of thought is to relocate it into the boot .

There are loads of threads on here detailing such work and a few members here that can do the job for you .

The search function is your friend .

jamesfr

Post by jamesfr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks mate :thumbsup:
Z4 2004 3.0l
Black with red interior

jamesfr

Post by jamesfr » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks Thanks to Bowser134!

Ross sorted me out today fixing the rusted motor and relocating motor into the boot with a nice tidy install. This guys has got it down to a fine art now and for the money charged is well worth it!

Highly recommend!

Now if the worst happens and the motor fails again it will be easy to fix or replace without all the hood aggro!

Thanks again Ross (Bowser134)!
Z4 2004 3.0l
Black with red interior

bowser134

Post by bowser134 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:18 am

Glad we could get it sorted for you James and nice to meet and have a chat :)

jamesfr

Post by jamesfr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:39 am

bowser134 wrote:Glad we could get it sorted for you James and nice to meet and have a chat :)
Pleasure was all mine mate - the other "fix" is holding up nicely too!

Thanks for you help Ross!
Z4 2004 3.0l
Black with red interior

Appletree

Post by Appletree » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:58 pm

Z4 roof motor.

My roof motor has died. I understand that there is someone who lives near Basingstoke that can help replace it. I believe Bowser 134. I live in Hampshire.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:55 pm

Appletree wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:58 pm Z4 roof motor.

My roof motor has died. I understand that there is someone who lives near Basingstoke that can help replace it. I believe Bowser 134. I live in Hampshire.
Yes bowser134 is in Hants, Yateley I think.

Anyway welcome to the forum! :thumbsup: Don't forget we like to see photos of new members' cars in the "Newbies" section of the forum!

That will get you a 2nd post, and once you've made 3 you can use the "Private Messages" function to message bowser direct. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:00 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:55 pm
Appletree wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:58 pm Z4 roof motor.

Yes bowser134 is in Hants, Yateley I think.

Anyway welcome to the forum! :thumbsup: Don't forget we like to see photos of new members' cars in the "Newbies" section of the forum!

That will get you a 2nd post, and once you've made 3 you can use the "Private Messages" function to message bowser direct. :thumbsup:
[/quote
Already sent a PM with Bowser's details Mr T :wink:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:15 pm

firebobby wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:00 pm Already sent a PM with Bowser's details Mr T :wink:
Oh well, at least "Appletree" can't say he couldn't get in touch! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

gozamez

Post by gozamez » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Hi, I am a new Z4 owner. Sadly the roof motor is not working. Looking on the forums lots of people are saying Bowser 134 is the person in Hampshire who can sort it.

Does anyone have his contact details?

Thank you