Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery size/spec?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
greencode

Battery size/spec?

Post by greencode » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:54 pm

Been looking on a few sites now for a battery for my E85 2004 Z4 2.5 and they all seem to give different ones so I'm slightly confused.

This appears to be the cheapest place (along with 12% discount code) http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/car-battery but when you type in your reg it gives you over 20 different batteries.

I was looking at the Bosch S4 so really is it a simple case of measure what I currently have in my car and get the closest one?

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Battery size/spec?

Post by patriot66 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:32 pm

I replaced my original 2003 battery with a Bosch S4 back in July. Gave it a full charge when fitted. My car is mainly used at weekends but it has been absolutely fine so far. I haven't charged it since then. The S4 is slightly smaller in height and width and much lighter than the oem battery also. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

srhutch

Battery size/spec?

Post by srhutch » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:16 pm

The S4 only signifies the warranty (4 year), you still need to make sure you get the correct size.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Battery size/spec?

Post by GuidoK » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:28 am

You can get different adapter plates from the dealer to fit different sizes (they click in the bottom of the tray)
So you can fit an array of batteries from roughly 50A to 80A
The 3 basic sizes you can fit are:
242x175x190mm
278x175x190mm
315x175x190mm

Bigger batteries obviously hold out longer when the car is stored and generally last more years, but are slightly heavier and maybe slightly more expensive.

Try to get an AGM battery from a decent brand.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

1972nail

Battery size/spec?

Post by 1972nail » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Just reviving this old thread. I've been looking on the Tanya battery website and it recommends a 017 battery (95 ah) for my 2003 3.0i Auto at 354mm long. The low quality aftermarket 096 (68 ah) which is fitted at present is 278mm long while a 110 battery (88 ah) is 317mm long.

Now, it would appear that the 017 might fit without any adaptor plates fitted. has anyone fitted one?

fdsy

Battery size/spec?

Post by fdsy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:11 pm

1972nail wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:12 pm Now, it would appear that the 017 might fit without any adaptor plates fitted. has anyone fitted one?
Sorry to resurrect, I have been researching replacement batteries for my Z4c. I have discovered that Varta and Bosch are practically the same thing, made under the same company but with different labels. With that in mind I have found that for every Varta there is an exact Bosch equivalent with identical specs. If you have trouble finding a particular model, try it's other equivalent. Varta are generally usually cheaper for some reason.

With regards to the Varta F17 this would fit the tray in length (315mm) and width (175mm) without an adaptor (I measured the original BMW battery). However the height of the F17 (175mm) is 15mm short. As you may be aware there is a metal brace that goes over the battery so the F17 would not be ideal, unless you were OK to use 15mm of brace padding material (e.g. piece of wood).

For some reason the Varta F16 is bigger and an exact match for the original BMW battery at 190mm high. This variant however is a little less prevalent & generally more expensive than the F17 on eBay etc.

One other option I was considering was a higher spec battery from either of the above manufacturer (Silver/S5), but going shorter in the length at 278mm. These are just under 80Ah but well over the original 640CCA, which I deem to be the most important factor. These are available at 190mm high to meet the aforementioned metal brace over the top, but would leave almost 40mm short on the length. I realise that adaptors are available, but well overpriced. So I was curious to know if anyone thought about/has tried some side bracing and if it would suffice?
2007 3.0si coupe, silver/grey... just clocked 25k! (09/16)

fdsy

Battery size/spec?

Post by fdsy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:47 pm

fdsy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:11 pm One other option I was considering was a higher spec battery from either of the above manufacturer (Silver/S5), but going shorter in the length at 278mm. These are just under 80Ah but well over the original 640CCA, which I deem to be the most important factor. These are available at 190mm high to meet the aforementioned metal brace over the top, but would leave almost 40mm short on the length. I realise that adaptors are available, but well overpriced. So I was curious to know if anyone thought about/has tried some side bracing and if it would suffice?
Upon further inspection of the battery fixtures, fitting anything less than 315mm in length without the proper adapters is not advisable.
Around the base of the battery there is a lip that protrudes and locates under a fitting on the right side of the tray. The clamp is then screwed down and fastened tightly on the left side, securing the battery from the rigorous movements during transit. The aforementioned brace that serves as a bracket over the top of the battery doesn't appear to be designed to take constant stress, but acts as more of a backup. Even with the original battery in place at 190mm height, there is still about 5mm play between the battery and the brace. Therefore using the brace as a main means of securing a smaller length, 190mm high battery would not be sufficient.

Since the brace isn't doing much work most of the time with the current original battery, I have opted to go for the 15mm lower (& less expensive) F17. This should most definitely allow the most snug fit into the bottom of the standard battery tray. I may find some padding material for the 15/20mm of missing height, though I doubt this is really necessary considering the original battery does not fit snuggly under the top brace.

I am just about to order the F17 and see how it goes. If I hit any snags i'll be sure to follow up here. Otherwise the F17 Varta should be a good fit.
2007 3.0si coupe, silver/grey... just clocked 25k! (09/16)