Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cracked 3rd Brake Light

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Cracked 3rd Brake Light

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Tue May 02, 2017 1:48 pm

Remove the plastic covers with a Philips screwdriver for easy access to the nuts.
You can then use a deep socket or a spanner to loosen the 3 nuts and then unscrew by hand. (for some reason I thought from memory it was a 10mm socket but I am getting forgetful)
The electrical connector pulls apart and then the reverse of this procedure to refit.
Don't over tighten the nuts or you will have another cracked lens.
10 minute job tops.

riverside23

Cracked 3rd Brake Light

Post by riverside23 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:31 pm

Here's mine after coming back from bmw for some spray work under warranty .
Don't know who they sent the car to but cracked the light and the rear wing seals where the spray work has been carried out have been put back incorrectly.
Chuffed that they painted the car not chuffed with the damage and the putting back of parts .
Believe subcontracted .
Attachments
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG (154.13 KiB) Viewed 851 times
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG (149.39 KiB) Viewed 851 times

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Cracked 3rd Brake Light

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon May 29, 2017 10:40 pm

riverside23 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 3:31 pm Here's mine after coming back from bmw for some spray work under warranty .
Don't know who they sent the car to but cracked the light and the rear wing seals where the spray work has been carried out have been put back incorrectly.
Chuffed that they painted the car not chuffed with the damage and the putting back of parts .
Believe subcontracted .
Not really the same issue, probably worth a new thread.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Roberltd2

Cracked 3rd Brake Light

Post by Roberltd2 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:06 am

Just replaced my high-level (boot) brake light tonight. Bought it on ebay for £23.87 all in from Auto-Fashion in China. Expected it not to fit / work / poor connectors etc. but it went in without a hitch. Fits and works as it should. Tightened the springs up and then undid them until I could see the ends lifting off the seals and then did them up half a turn back up. See how long it lasts. To be fair though, I couldn't tell any visible difference between the new and the old in terms of build quality and for the price I think it's worth a try. They arrived in eight days.
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.