Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

side mirror stuck in up position

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
z4all

Post by z4all » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:39 pm

hi all,

i have electric side mirrors and my pass. side side mirror is stuck in the up position. I can get it down manually although it has to be forced to some extent. my drivers side one goes up and down just fine.

the other day, it came down just fine when I pressed the button, when this happened I remembered that it had done that a few times before. I have previously been told that something inside is "broken" and the only fix is to get a new mirror. im now thinking that perhaps something is just slightly out of place and needs to be put back into place and then hopefully it will just work again!

what do we think? anyone else experienced this?

Zeddicus

Post by Zeddicus » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:50 pm

Exact same symptoms here as well and I just live with it as I don't fold them every day...
My "broken" one is on the driver side (LH steering) so a bit less annoying; I just reach out through the window and manually unfold it.
Z4 3.0si Coupe 2007 - Sapphire Black

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:53 pm

Take it apart for a shufty around.
Prob just needs a bit of tightening/alignment and a bit of plastic grease.
I'd give it a squirt of silicone spray as a first off to see if that helps. Cant hurt...
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:58 pm

may have lost the function on the Gm5 module may just need recoding/intizializing my e46 have done this before just needed coding. Sometmes low battery or change can loose functions set. Try something like NCS expert

z4all

Post by z4all » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:31 pm

Zeddicus wrote:Exact same symptoms here as well and I just live with it as I don't fold them every day...
My "broken" one is on the driver side (LH steering) so a bit less annoying; I just reach out through the window and manually unfold it.
Does yours work sometimes too?

Zeddicus

Post by Zeddicus » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:08 pm

z4all wrote:
Zeddicus wrote:Exact same symptoms here as well and I just live with it as I don't fold them every day...
Does yours work sometimes too?
Actually yes, mine did work once over the last month - funny, as it happened after having left the car outside over night (relatively cold weather).
But most of the time, it won't even shudder when I press the button.
Which makes me think of an electrical/eletronic issue rather than a "greasing" problem.
goldbcfc wrote:may have lost the function on the Gm5 module may just need recoding/intizializing my e46 have done this before just needed coding. Sometmes low battery or change can loose functions set. Try something like NCS expert
That's interesting, I may give it a try!
Z4 3.0si Coupe 2007 - Sapphire Black

left98204

Post by left98204 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:42 pm

I've had the same issue for some time with the same mirror.

I get a little movement when I try to bring it down and it appears like something is blocking it from returning to down position.

I haven't got around to opening it up to look at what is going on inside.

I think it is mechanical not electrical for me.
54 Plate 2.2 SE, Titanium Silver, retro fitted Heated, Electric MSports Seats, Gaptech, Cruise Control, 108's - Owned from new :)

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:15 pm

needs recoding

z4all

Post by z4all » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:36 pm

goldbcfc wrote:needs recoding
How?

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:54 pm

On NCS expert software or something like Icarly app on your phone. The Gm5 module that controls windows/mirrors etc maybe be faulty or just have lost its setting on the computer memory. If you had a flat/new battery sometimes that looses some coding lots of my bmw's have done that before.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-INPA-EDIA ... QP9FAnK69g

z4all

Post by z4all » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:13 pm

goldbcfc wrote:On NCS expert software or something like Icarly app on your phone. The Gm5 module that controls windows/mirrors etc maybe be faulty or just have lost its setting on the computer memory. If you had a flat/new battery sometimes that looses some coding lots of my bmw's have done that before.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-INPA-EDIA ... QP9FAnK69g
I've got NCS expert. How do I physically recode the mirror. Is there a guide somewhere? Thanks for your help

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:38 pm

NCS is all in German im sure if you google ncs for dummies theres a conversion you can use to be honest my mate does all my coding he's pretty fluent at Germman now from years of pracrtice with NCS. See if you can find a list for options/features ive sen them online before. Their all in German but once you find the command for the miirors you can go from there and see if theres a power fault or needs intializing again so they fold together. If all that works then it will be fault on your mirror housing housing

z4all

Post by z4all » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:51 pm

Ah mate I don't wanna go messing about with it. I don't hv a clue. Where r u based? Wouldn't mind paying ur mate to do it

tuco

Post by tuco » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:55 pm

My passenger mirror folds up but not down, how would you find out if it requires recoding ?

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:19 am

z4all wrote:Ah mate I don't wanna go messing about with it. I don't hv a clue. Where r u based? Wouldn't mind paying ur mate to do it
tuco wrote:My passenger mirror folds up but not down, how would you find out if it requires recoding ?
Yeah im the same I see all that computer jargon and think one wrong press of a button can really mess things up. I have the software too its just easier and quicker sometimes letting someone who does this everyday do it.

I'm in Birmingham if that helps if your local or not to far. Give my freind a try he will advise you. He might even come to you if he has a solution. He a good guy to know for any coding/diagnostics etc. Worked on all my bmw's past 10yrs or more so is very reputable.

http://www.endtuning.com/