Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front Door Key Barrel/Tumbler Removal - lock needs repair

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Beynon5

Post by Beynon5 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:49 pm

Evening all,

Fairly straight forward request.. (I hope!! seeing as nothing else was today hah!)

My Zed has a problem where the key is just spinning in the lock and not locking - my fob doesnt work either.

Reading the BMW workshop manual it explains that you remove the hex screw from the side and turn the key through 90 degrees and pull out. However because the lock is just spinning I cant use the key to turn the barrel and remove it.

Does anyone have any other advice for getting it out? Or a way around it?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:52 am

I have the same issue on mine. From what I've read, the entire handle needs to be removed, which apparently needs some special BMW God like tool.

It appears a small clip holds the barrel in place. I've purchased the part, but i'll be letting the garage sort it on its next service, unless I can figure out a fix myself.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Beynon5

Post by Beynon5 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:19 am

ben g wrote:I have the same issue on mine. From what I've read, the entire handle needs to be removed, which apparently needs some special BMW God like tool.

It appears a small clip holds the barrel in place. I've purchased the part, but i'll be letting the garage sort it on its next service, unless I can figure out a fix myself.
Got that bit done with some fairly normal tools (the special tool is just for pushing the sliding clip out of the way) so the handle is off and the barrel is exposed but it just keeps spinning - I'm assuming if the barrel wasnt spinning I'd have the resistance to turn the barrel and remove but alas no chance here haha

Beynon5

Post by Beynon5 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:06 am

A quick bump in the hope someone can shed some light on my problem! Thanks Chris!

TomK

Post by TomK » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:29 am

Beynon5 wrote:A quick bump in the hope someone can shed some light on my problem! Thanks Chris!
Presumably the only other way is to remove door card and then remove the membrane behind and go at it that way?
Out of interest what tools did you manage to replicate the BMW tool with as I would like to remove my handles soon for painting (along with door) and would prefer not to disturb the membrane mentioned above.
Cheers
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Beynon5

Post by Beynon5 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:23 pm

TomK wrote:
Beynon5 wrote:A quick bump in the hope someone can shed some light on my problem! Thanks Chris!
Presumably the only other way is to remove door card and then remove the membrane behind and go at it that way?
Out of interest what tools did you manage to replicate the BMW tool with as I would like to remove my handles soon for painting (along with door) and would prefer not to disturb the membrane mentioned above.
Cheers
I had a very similar thought and tried it but the handle location is hidden from the inside (there's a metal panel in the way) what a PITA! Haha

To replicate it I already had a flat head screwdriver that had bent almost 90 degrees so it solved the problem of BMWs rather odd hook device!