Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Need diagnotic software

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Need diagnotic software

Post by Number5 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:31 am

Chris_D wrote:I'm using carly pro with the wifi obd dongle. Works with both ipad and iphone- even on my crappy old iphone4s!
I also have a smaller bluetooth dongle which works with carly, obd fusion and dashcmd.
Thanks Chris, What device do you have. Can you send me/post a link please ?
I dont want to keep buying gadgets from overseas and then find they dont work after waiting 2 weeks for delivery !
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

DMC63

Need diagnotic software

Post by DMC63 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:46 am

cj10jeeper wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
Chris_D wrote:Have carly pro and has been invaluable for my e85 for diagnostics and coding.
Can reset airbag light, however hasnt worked on mine due to multiple airbag codes. Need to get a new airbag module installed before next mot/apk.
Would recommend both carly and inpa. Both have pros and cons.
Carly great for when ur out and about and for easy as p!ss coding and diagnostics. Can also do live parameter monitoring which is great to see.
Inpa u can do a bit more with but i found it an absolute chew to get working and need a windows 32bit xp os laptop and cable.
I'm sure therell be more along soon singing the praises or deriding either or both.... :roll:
Hi Chris. I'm going down the INPA route, slowly but surely. My airbags are fine, just the fact I disconnected and reconnected them has set off the error light. I thought that disconnecting the negative from the battery would've worked, it did for one but not the other. Strange...
It wouldn't trigger the airbag if the battery was disconnected and you left it 15 mins. I suspect either you, disconnected the airbag immediately, haven't or didn't reconnect the airbag correctly, or the harness got damaged.

I had similar issue a few years ago where the harness was damaged and in the end BMW supplied and fitted a new harness as it would not reset without
I'd be surprised if I'd damaged the harness. I simply disconnected the air bag and left the wire untouched. It's deffo connected correctly as it clips in with a black lock mechanism of sorts. My neighbor (AA mechanic and all round petrol head) is coming round today to clear the warning light on the dash. Fingers crossed that I've not damaged anything.
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Need diagnotic software

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:25 pm

I was of the exact same opinion and ultra careful with the harness, but it was according to BMW damaged. Probably not so flexible after a decade in a door
Hope a reset does it as a new door harness is expensive
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

DMC63

Need diagnotic software

Post by DMC63 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:36 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:I was of the exact same opinion and ultra careful with the harness, but it was according to BMW damaged. Probably not so flexible after a decade in a door
Just run a complete diagnostic using AA diagnostic software. A few faults, but all related to work that has been done on the car. All cleared without any problems. Going to run the diagnostics again in 2 weeks just to make sure no faults are persisting. Airbag light gone. :)
I've also confirmed that Max (the AA guy) will fit the supercharger in a few months, which should save me a few quid and allow me to help out passing spanners.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Need diagnotic software

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:53 pm

result! :thumbsup:
and make sure u keep us posted re the supercharger install....sounds kewl
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Need diagnotic software

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:24 pm

DMC63 wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:I was of the exact same opinion and ultra careful with the harness, but it was according to BMW damaged. Probably not so flexible after a decade in a door
Just run a complete diagnostic using AA diagnostic software. A few faults, but all related to work that has been done on the car. All cleared without any problems. Going to run the diagnostics again in 2 weeks just to make sure no faults are persisting. Airbag light gone. :)
I've also confirmed that Max (the AA guy) will fit the supercharger in a few months, which should save me a few quid and allow me to help out passing spanners.
Great that it's gone and all cleared down.
Now fitting superchargers sounds much more interesting than clearing fault codes :)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

DMC63

Need diagnotic software

Post by DMC63 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:26 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote: Now fitting superchargers sounds much more interesting than clearing fault codes :)
Yep, Really looking forward to this mod. The cars fine but just needs that little extra 100bhp to liven things up a bit.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Need diagnotic software

Post by mac27040 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:35 pm

DMC63 wrote:

which supercharger kit you going for?
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

DMC63

Need diagnotic software

Post by DMC63 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:36 am

mac27040 wrote:
DMC63 wrote:

Same one you have :)
http://www.vfengineering.com/z4-2003-06/

DMC63

Need diagnotic software

Post by DMC63 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:13 pm

mac27040 wrote:
DMC63 wrote:

What was the hike on your insurance after fitting the supercharger?

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Need diagnotic software

Post by mac27040 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:25 pm

Not a lot but it does help having a mate in the insurance game. Also I'm not that young !! And plenty of no claims discount
Last edited by mac27040 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

DMC63

Need diagnotic software

Post by DMC63 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:39 am

mac27040 wrote:Not a lot but it goes help having a mate in the insurance game. Also I'm not that young !! And plenty of no claims discount
:tumbleweed: