Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front passengers side clunk?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Buckz

Post by Buckz » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:25 pm

Lolipops replaced today, not arms as I can't get it done on the road sadly need to go to a garage. Clunk is still there after lollipops so my next point of attack is arms + sway bars.

midway

Post by midway » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:00 am

Changing the lollipop is no bad thing.

Sway bar link next. Just undo the nuts and see if you can move the ball joint by hand it should be quite difficult to move although cheap enough to replace and a simple fit.

Next try the arms.

If no joy then try the shock and spring. not fool proof but driving with no load straight and level about 30 mph if there is no noise it could be a cracked spring and you can not always see it or the shock is slightly bent or damaged. Not always but you might have to remove to check.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:31 am

Yeah got the parts coming on Friday, will replace those and then see. Can't see any leaks around shocks or any spring snappage.. could be the top mounts but I'll tackle them one by one ;)

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:42 pm

Sway bars replaced.. clunk still here!!

Went digging through the engine bay etc and found one AC pipe that popped out of the bracket.. poped that back in and the clunk is gone! I give up lol.

Anyway, sway bars needed changing anyways as one was shot! And lolipops looked original too and one was gone. Car feels much tighter and now the clunk is gone it sounds good too ;)

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:32 am

Thought I'll update the thread incase any people come across it from either Google or forum search. The issue was not the lolipops, not the drop links, top mounts or the springs.. wasn't the AC pipe either! The clunk was coming from anti roll bar and the cause was a loose nut believe me or not ! :) 5 minute fix and it's all solid now.