Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E86 Screen Wash Leak

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Jay-Z4

E86 Screen Wash Leak

Post by Jay-Z4 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:29 pm

I've been noticing that my screen wash has been running out quicker than normal recently. There's nothing wrong with the screen wash bottle/reservoir so I took it to my garage and they said it is a fault with the head light washers. As a result of this issue with the head light washers, water has leaked into my fog light causing condensation and a blown bulb. I asked the garage to disable/disconnect the headlight washers but they said it would require the bumper to come off. I thought it could be disconnected through the wheel arch but apparently not.

Do I have any other options other than removing the bumper? Would removing the fuse for the headlight washers stop the leak? Maybe the leak occurs when the washers are activated IDK.

Any help would be massively appreciated
Black Z4 Coupe 3.0si

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

E86 Screen Wash Leak

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:33 pm

pretty sure you can just disconnect the pump to the wahers under the bonnet :thumbsup: its just in front of the reservoir iirc
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

E86 Screen Wash Leak

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:42 pm

Jay-Z4 wrote:I've been noticing that my screen wash has been running out quicker than normal recently. There's nothing wrong with the screen wash bottle/reservoir so I took it to my garage and they said it is a fault with the head light washers. As a result of this issue with the head light washers, water has leaked into my fog light causing condensation and a blown bulb. I asked the garage to disable/disconnect the headlight washers but they said it would require the bumper to come off. I thought it could be disconnected through the wheel arch but apparently not.

Do I have any other options other than removing the bumper? Would removing the fuse for the headlight washers stop the leak? Maybe the leak occurs when the washers are activated IDK.

You're not going to stop the leak just by taking the fuse out or disconnecting the pump as gravity will still cause water to flow to the washer.
The leak is probably easily fixed either by just cycling the washer in and out a few times by hand or with the lights on, and/or ensuring the pipe is clipped correctly to the jet. The latter though the lower access hole.

Incidentally I doubt if the leak caused the fog light to have condensation. It just happens naturally to almost all of them from damp air and spray from driving coupled to changing temperatures. Also if you have xenon's it will be an MOT fail if disconnected, so mindful of that
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

E86 Screen Wash Leak

Post by sticky » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:54 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
Jay-Z4 wrote:I've been noticing that my screen wash has been running out quicker than normal recently. There's nothing wrong with the screen wash bottle/reservoir so I took it to my garage and they said it is a fault with the head light washers. As a result of this issue with the head light washers, water has leaked into my fog light causing condensation and a blown bulb. I asked the garage to disable/disconnect the headlight washers but they said it would require the bumper to come off. I thought it could be disconnected through the wheel arch but apparently not.

You're not going to stop the leak just by taking the fuse out or disconnecting the pump as gravity will still cause water to flow to the washer.
The leak is probably easily fixed either by just cycling the washer in and out a few times by hand or with the lights on, and/or ensuring the pipe is clipped correctly to the jet. The latter though the lower access hole.

Incidentally I doubt if the leak caused the fog light to have condensation. It just happens naturally to almost all of them from damp air and spray from driving coupled to changing temperatures. Also if you have xenon's it will be an MOT fail if disconnected, so mindful of that
Handy. :thumbsup:

Jay-Z4

E86 Screen Wash Leak

Post by Jay-Z4 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:13 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:

Ok I think I'll stay clear of disconnecting them - cheers.

Sorry for the stupid question but what do you mean by cycling the washer in and out? I'm eager to try anything if it might help!
Black Z4 Coupe 3.0si

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

E86 Screen Wash Leak

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:29 pm

You can either put the lights on and then wash the screen. It will spray the headlights on startup then every 5 cycles of the screen wash, or grip the covers with your nails and pull the jet up. Then pull and retract it a few times. These actions reseat the seals and clear dirt.

If it fails a new washer jet is a simple fit
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

bluespit

E86 Screen Wash Leak

Post by bluespit » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:24 pm

mine leaked too. turned out to be the clip at the bottom of the headlight washer jet.

easy enough fix but I did have to take the bumper off - took about 15 mins to remove and the same to refit.
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!