Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight Out, Ballast and Bulb are ok?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
logixhunter

Post by logixhunter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:40 pm

She's a 2007 BMW z4 3.0i

Took her to the BMW stealership and they wanted to charge me 450 for a new D2S Xenon bulb. Instead I got my own and replaced my bulb on the drivers side. However it didn't work. Thinking I messed up I put the bulb in the passenger side. And it worked, and the bulb that was in the passenger side into the drivers side. And it didnt work. AHA! it must be the BALLAST!!! .........NOPE. Switched the ballasts around so the driver side ballast was on the passenger side, bulb bulb still worked.

To make things clear. Ballast A and Bulb A are in the drivers side and dont work, But when Ballast A and Bulb A are in the passenger side they work.

Whats wrong? and how do i fix it????!!!!! One more ticket and I lose my license >< :headbang:

Thanks <3

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:45 pm

It could be bad wiring in the connector plug
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

biojo

Post by biojo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:06 pm

just to clear things up, when you say the ballast or did you change the ignitors on the back of the bulb?

logixhunter

Post by logixhunter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:34 am

The square module that you rotate about 10 degrees to the left to open and pull back revealing the xenon bulbs black backing. is what i reffered to as the ballast.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:16 am

+1 bad wiring.
Try and do a continuity test without zapping urself.
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

biojo

Post by biojo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:25 pm

logixhunter wrote:The square module that you rotate about 10 degrees to the left to open and pull back revealing the xenon bulbs black backing. is what i reffered to as the ballast.
This is not the ballast, it is the igniter.

The chances are the ballast has failed which is the under side of headlight (bumper off) there prone for water getting into them

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=719294