Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cleaning inside of washer bottle and filters E85

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:25 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Wish I would have found this earlier, the exact same thing happened to me, ran dry at weekend, filled to the brim with water and washer fluid. Now when I operate the washers, I get bubbles and dribbles out of the two windscreen washers. Just checked inside the bottle, my pink washer fluid looks like canal water. Wish I would have found this post earlier.Is there an easy way to stop it peeing everywhere when I remove the bottom hose?
It won't lose much when you take the hose off the pump - just make sure you leave the pump (or pumps if you have headlight washers) in the tank until you've got it out of the car!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:56 pm

OK so I just took my washer bottle out and the insides and filters were full of black slimey gunge. The filters were very filthy on both pumps. Cleaned them all up so they were spotless (used a wine makers brush for cleaning demijohns it worked a treat).

Connected back up put the washers on, windscreen motor whirs away but no water comes out so I am figuring the pipes have been blocked? It looks a bit of a pain to change as it is bound up with wiring harnesses. I have a couple of thoughts:

1) disconnect both ends and use air compressor from jets to bottle direction to try and push out any blockage. Not sure about this as the high pressure may rupture the tube
2) use the inner stainless multicore brake cable and feed it down the pipe

Any thoughts?

Also the headlamp wash wasn't working at all, no motor sound. Do the headlamps only wash when headlights are turned on?
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:25 am

It shouldn't really pee everywhere as the filter is probably blocked. It'll more likely dribble.
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

theribs

Post by theribs » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:00 pm

I know the post is a little old now but just had the same problem myself with my 56 plate 3.0si. Ten years of grime finally blocked everything!
I could not believe the amount of "stuff" in the bottom of the reservoir. Managed to clean it all up though, now I can spray people on the path 10ft away :rofl:

Though you might like to see some before and after shots.
Filter1.jpg
Filter1.jpg (73.56 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Filter2.jpg
Filter2.jpg (71.9 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
3.0si Roadster in Titanium Silver as featured in the 2006 brochures.

B!5cu!t

Post by B!5cu!t » Mon May 01, 2017 2:05 pm

I need to do this asap ... thanks for the information.

DaveAstro

Post by DaveAstro » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:22 pm

Great guide, just washed mine out - it wasn't bad after all, when I came too it I think the main reason my newly acquired z4 washers were weak was because the reservoir was almost empty.

I have a question about reassembly, it seems to be back where it was and the bolt in place, but it can swing about a little. I can't rememember whether it had this amount of movement before. Is it supposed to clip in somehow at the bottom?
Silver-grey Z4 3.0si sport Coupe (2007)

tuco

Post by tuco » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:16 am

My screenwash is leaking out where the clip is on this picture Image the connector on the pump wiggles about a bit when connected into this clip. Is it likely to be the clip or the pump that needs replacing ?
Attachments
leaking clip
leaking clip
20181221_100145.jpg (114.22 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

tuco

Post by tuco » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:30 am

The filters in theribs pics, where can i buy them as i've just looked at mine and the filters aren't even there :!:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:16 pm

You should be able to get the part numbers from here:- http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=61_1084

I did a search for a December 03 3.0i, but I doubt they are any different on most models. If you wanted to be sure you could go to their homepage and put in the last 7 characters of your VIN.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

tuco

Post by tuco » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:04 pm

I've found the two filters, just need to know if the leak is the pump or hose.