Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Faulty Instrument cluster

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Anakin

Post by Anakin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:55 pm

My Instrument cluster doesnt seem to like the cold. It will power on and off when its cold, once the car/cluster is warm its fine. I've taken it out kept it in over night and its also fine when its plugged into a cold car.

Now I think this sounds like dry solder connection or something like that. I would like to send it off to have it checked and repaired, I was told BBA Reman but after reading reviews online I dont think I will be sending it there.

Any recogmendations ? Somewhere around Manchester would be ideal, but as I can be posted not too bothered.

thanks in advance.
Monaco Blue Z4M Roadster & Solar Orange TT RS

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:24 pm

They're not in Manchester but ECU Testing also do this sort of thing. They seem to have a good rep, although I have personally used BBA Reman before and not had an issue.
Never heard anyone mention on here an Instrument Cluster failing, hope its a one off!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Anakin

Post by Anakin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:11 pm

MACK wrote:They're not in Manchester but ECU Testing also do this sort of thing. They seem to have a good rep, although I have personally used BBA Reman before and not had an issue.
Never heard anyone mention on here an Instrument Cluster failing, hope its a one off!

Good to know thank you.
It definitely only does it when it's cold. It will do it on the drive out but not back and took it out overnight and kept it warm and it worked fine in the cold car. I can't see how it can be anything but the cluster. I still need to plug it in to see if there any fault code though.

Anakin

Post by Anakin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:34 am

Well BBA Remans can't fix it. Only £800 odd + vat for a new one /cry

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:49 am

Anakin

Post by Anakin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:33 pm

called they wont touch it now its been to another repairer, also no exchange units avaiable :(