Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ABS etc warning lights...

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
aquarianone

Post by aquarianone » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:01 pm

So i've that the 4 warning lights ABS, TPS and the others since Jan...

Clearing the old errors messages leaves just one error relating to the Speed sensor

I've already replaced the rear driver side drive shaft, its had broken CV boot for a while and it was more cost effective (approx £100) to just do the whole thing (perfect reluctor ring and cv boot)...in doing that we've also replaced the speed sensor with a new one (not sure if it's from Euro car parts or BMWs own)

They cleared the errors and I collected the car...and all was well...for about 5 mins and then then warning lights came back...

So, i'll pop back down to have the error codes read again and see what's up now...

Anyway, wanted to get your opinion as it seems a few others have been down this road...

Is it worth persevering with fixing the speed sensor error..ie getting a genuine BMW one in case the other one is shoddy...

or do I just go with the inevitable ABS module, ie the errors are a red herring for the module being borked...

The car drives fine and there's nothing else up, just wondering if I just get them to take out the old module and bite the bullet and get in touch with ECUtesting...

And just to make my wallet weep further...the Driver side window regulator gave up the ghost, left the window stuck at half open...so had that replaced / fixed with a new one while they were also sorting the driveshaft...£170 + fitting.
Midnight blue, 3.0si sport coupe, champagne nappa leather, piano black trim, stubby, DLV exhaust and a bunch of other stuff :thumbsup:

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:15 pm

unless you have “5DF0-Hydraulic unit pump motor” and “5DF1-Hydraulic unit pump motor connector faulty

then pointless throwing money at your ABS module.

Mine went on my old Z4 coupe & i chopped it in to webuyanycar because i couldnt be arsed fixing it.

ecutesting.com will sort it for you if it is that, for a relitivley reasonable 200 quid plus the the fact it'll need re-setting/calibrating using INPA or simmlar software.
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

csquire4

Post by csquire4 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi, exactly which warning lights are on at the moment ? I had traction and ABS warning lights on, needed a new high pressure brake sensor (top left of engine bay), £92 for a BMW part, fitting is easy for mechanic and then bleed brake system, no more than half hour labour.

I'm now warning light free..........damn......should not have written that, will probably have a Christmas tree of lights tomorrow - :headbang:
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

aquarianone

Post by aquarianone » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:46 pm

So the saga continues, switched the sensor out for a genuine BMW one...and the problem persists...grrr.

They've started running diagnostics and looks like its giving a low voltage just on that set of wiring to the sensor (drivers side rear speed sensor)..so they're gonna check the wiring through for any kinks / rips...

Using Mpc down in Basingstoke fwiw and they've been pretty good...

Soo...we'll pick this up next week when they've got some time to check through all the wiring, before we get to sorting out the ABS module :headbang:

Aaaaaand breath
Midnight blue, 3.0si sport coupe, champagne nappa leather, piano black trim, stubby, DLV exhaust and a bunch of other stuff :thumbsup:

lordgrover

Post by lordgrover » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Don'tcha just love 'progress' and technology?
Hope you get it resolved properly soon, at not too great cost.

aquarianone

Post by aquarianone » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:17 pm

Just to close this off....

MPC had another go with the car and managed to trace the fault to some dodgy wiring feeding the speed sensor ...fixed up the wiring and the fault went away...woo hoo! :driving:

Thankfully, no messing about with the ABS module and managed to come away without too much (more ) damage to wallet, car's back to normal and it's soo good not to see those fricken lights every day.... :thumbsup:

Next stop MOT... :D

maxman

Post by maxman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:25 pm

They sound like a decent bunch who know what they are doing.Excellent result.

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Had these issues recently and the error indicated front right speed sensor. Changed it and error was still present. Changed the front LEFT sensor and problem solved! :?
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

boristhespider2016

Post by boristhespider2016 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:59 pm

jamie_z4 wrote:unless you have “5DF0-Hydraulic unit pump motor” and “5DF1-Hydraulic unit pump motor connector faulty

Mine went on my old Z4 coupe & i chopped it in to webuyanycar because i couldnt be arsed fixing it.

ecutesting.com will sort it for you if it is that, for a relitivley reasonable 200 quid plus the the fact it'll need re-setting/calibrating using INPA or simmlar software.
ECUtesting.com are total crap! Promised to sort my ECU so sent it to them. All they did was say it DID have a fault but they couldn't fix it and promptly sent it back! £74 of wasted postage costs back and forth.

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:36 am

So,who did fix your ecu then Boris?
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:26 am

boristhespider2016 wrote:
jamie_z4 wrote:unless you have “5DF0-Hydraulic unit pump motor” and “5DF1-Hydraulic unit pump motor connector faulty

ECUtesting.com are total crap! Promised to sort my ECU so sent it to them. All they did was say it DID have a fault but they couldn't fix it and promptly sent it back! £74 of wasted postage costs back and forth.

Just because they didn't fix yours doesn't make them total crap mate..

Read any bmw forum which covers the affected cars and nearly every post about them is positive and that they fixed the person's issue.

They do say on their website that they can't fix all faults so it's pretty unfair to say they are total crap based on that.
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

biojo

Post by biojo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:56 pm

when i asked them with the abs pump, they said if it couldnt be fixed there was a charge but was only 20-30 if i remember correctly, but its been fixed now over 6 month and not had any issue

boristhespider2016

Post by boristhespider2016 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:49 am

biojo wrote:when i asked them with the abs pump, they said if it couldnt be fixed there was a charge but was only 20-30 if i remember correctly, but its been fixed now over 6 month and not had any issue
Errrrr.... When they say they can FIX something, then I kinda expect that they CAN fix it! Just to clarify, THEY DO NOT FIX ALL THEY SAY THEY CAN. They expect you to send them the part, at YOUR EXPENSE and the decide whether it is fixable or not AT YOUR EXPENSE!! All I'm saying is " Buyer Beware!"

Rufus59

Post by Rufus59 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:35 am

I think that's just car mechanics in general though. Impossible to say for certain if something can be fixed until it has been diagnosed and it is only fair that they are paid for their time to diagnose. 30-60 sounds reasonable enough and certainly something I would consider before I sunk 100s on a new module! :cry:
E85 3.0l i Roadster - Titan Silver

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:49 am

So,who did fix your ecu then Boris?