Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Abs light and handbrake light, consistently orange

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Charlie1100

Post by Charlie1100 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:24 pm

So today we have managed to get rid of the lights, diconnected the battery and then braked sharply a
Couple of times and the lights have gone off, what does that mean? Dodgy sensor? I initially thought it was the abs pump but not sure now we have managed to get rid of the lights! Anyone have any idea?
2007 2.0 BMW Z4- Blue

maxman

Post by maxman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:40 pm

They will come back on within a few miles,see previous comments.

Charlie1100

Post by Charlie1100 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:58 pm

maxman wrote:They will come back on within a few miles,see previous comments.
Ah I see, yours was just a sensor though wasn't it?
2007 2.0 BMW Z4- Blue

maxman

Post by maxman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Charlie1100 wrote:
maxman wrote:They will come back on within a few miles,see previous comments.
Ah I see, yours was just a sensor though wasn't it?
Yes .The two on the pump.

Charlie1100

Post by Charlie1100 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:31 am

So lights have come back on about a week after we turned them off, does that point towards sensor or the whole unit like the garage said? It's really hard to get a definitive answer and although the garage said it was the abs pump, is it worth trying the sensors first?
2007 2.0 BMW Z4- Blue

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:16 am

2A70 Valvetronic Servomotor
2C6E Lambda Sensor Post Cat 2 Timing
P0159 - O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 2 Sensor 2

None of those codes seem to relate to the ABS/DSC. It would have been nice if the garage you took it to gave you a copy of the fault codes they found.
Whether it is the Pump Motor, or the ECU attached to it, either can (usually) be fixed for a fraction of the cost of a replacement pump or ECU.

Charlie1100 wrote:Hi All,

I have got an App on my phone which has read the codes but it only seems to be a basic one, is there an app which is close to being free and tells you more?

Anyway I got the following error codes:

P2A70
P2C6E
P0159

The app didn't seem to help, can anyone guide me on what this is?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:14 pm

I had my handbrake light and my brake light come on at the same time. Googled it and evidently the wheel sensors can get very dirty. On each wheel is a plastic ABS sensor at the back of the calliper, they remove with one Alan bolt and a bit of wiggling. I cleaned mine with brake cleaner and a cloth, has not come back on yet after a week and a few hundred miles of driving.

Might not be the same thing as my ABS light did not come on, but may be worth a look into.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:19 pm

These were not the fault codes that I had when my ABS pump unit went. You need to get some reliable garage to read the codes and tell you what is wrong.

If it is the ABS unit, £350 for parts and labour is a bargain.

The seller seems to have been rather disingenuous with this, I wouldn't be surprised if he took it to BMW himself and baulked at a £2,000 estimated repair bill and quickly sold it on.
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:14 am

Geezah wrote:These were not the fault codes that I had when my ABS pump unit went. You need to get some reliable garage to read the codes and tell you what is wrong.

If it is the ABS unit, £350 for parts and labour is a bargain.

The seller seems to have been rather disingenuous with this, I wouldn't be surprised if he took it to BMW himself and baulked at a £2,000 estimated repair bill and quickly sold it on.
What Geezah said - get the codes read before worrying about what it might or might not be :thumbsup:
5DF0 & 5DF1 are (often the) pump motor codes. Mine just got back from an overhaul, fingers crossed it's fixed for good (haven't had time to put enough miles on the Z4 to tell yet).
I believe other codes relate to the sensors, e.g:
5e24 pressure sensor 1/2 not plausible
5e20 pressure sensor

csquire4

Post by csquire4 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:57 pm

Charlie - where are you based?

I had same problem, put it on diagnostics, it was a brake pressure sensor, bought a new one from dealer (via ebay), took mechanic 2 minutes to fit and then bled the system. (don't buy the cheap chinese versions)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-NEW-B ... 3d294df0e4
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

Kolaz4

Post by Kolaz4 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi All
I am a newish member! Joined last year but my z4 3.0si convertable has been parked up and unused for a year, she has only done 26k 2k in the last 3 years. Foolishly, I went to a none BMW and had diagnostic done at a cost of £50. I have just had same done at a local electrical engineer as someone had mentioned after a new battery the car needs reprogramming hence another check £50 poorer earlier today and same code fault 5DF 0 and 5DF1.

I have found a company that refurb with lifetime warranty for around £200 ECUTESTING.

One last thing to mention, I read also somewhere pushstarting and using jump leads can affect (any advice on this please?) which she was subjected to!
Promise pics when she has been cleaned :roll:
Kolaz4

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:45 am

Hi and welcome. You didn't mention what Z4 you have: E85/E86 or E89. Difference being the E85/86 doesn't need the battery registered after replacing, the E89 does (from my understanding). You might find the 5DF0/5DF1 codes are for the hydraulic pump (stuck brushes) and not the module; I'm not sure ECU testing fix the pump? Hopefully they do either the pump or the module depending on which one is faulty.

Kolaz4 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:19 pm Hi All
I am a newish member! Joined last year but my z4 3.0si convertable has been parked up and unused for a year, she has only done 26k 2k in the last 3 years. Foolishly, I went to a none BMW and had diagnostic done at a cost of £50. I have just had same done at a local electrical engineer as someone had mentioned after a new battery the car needs reprogramming hence another check £50 poorer earlier today and same code fault 5DF 0 and 5DF1.

I have found a company that refurb with lifetime warranty for around £200 ECUTESTING.

One last thing to mention, I read also somewhere pushstarting and using jump leads can affect (any advice on this please?) which she was subjected to!
Promise pics when she has been cleaned :roll:
Kolaz4

Kolaz4

Post by Kolaz4 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi all
Enzed thanks a mill for your response. Mine is an E85/E86. I will call ECU... and check out.
I had a 300plus mile drive to Gloucester and back over last two days; home run with roof down and sunshine :D
Hairy drive on country lanes on run flats!! Any advice on replacement tyres ASAP please as I am changing them next week. My local Tom Tully promoting DAVANTI.

Thanks all much much appreciated
Ps pics tomorrow as I will be cleaning of massacred flies!

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Kolaz4 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:19 pm Hi all
Enzed thanks a mill for your response. Mine is an E85/E86. I will call ECU... and check out.
I had a 300plus mile drive to Gloucester and back over last two days; home run with roof down and sunshine :D
Hairy drive on country lanes on run flats!! Any advice on replacement tyres ASAP please as I am changing them next week. My local Tom Tully promoting DAVANTI.

Thanks all much much appreciated
Ps pics tomorrow as I will be cleaning of massacred flies!
Many many threads on here about good tyres to replace the runflats with (don't forget to kep a tyre repair/selant kit in the boot in case of flats). We would need to know what wheels you're running to recommend tyre sizes.
Might pay to post up some pics (we love pics...) of your Zed as an introduction in the newbies thread as well.
Cheers.