Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Abs light and handbrake light, consistently orange

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:14 am

Charlie1100 wrote:I'm gonna get an Obd2 reader and the app for iPhone and see what happens!
Take note that stock Iphones only work with wifi obd2 readers afaik and not with bluetooth obd2 readers (that requires a workaround).
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

maxman

Post by maxman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:22 am

I had the same lights on mine,they would reset themselves but come back on after a short time.The problem for me was the sensors on the pump.They are not cheap if I remember about £130 each.Before spending have it checked out.

Charlie1100

Post by Charlie1100 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:13 pm

maxman wrote:I had the same lights on mine,they would reset themselves but come back on after a short time.The problem for me was the sensors on the pump.They are not cheap if I remember about £130 each.Before spending have it checked out.

A lot cheaper than what I'm seeing some people have been quoted though, I would love if it was a sensor aha
2007 2.0 BMW Z4- Blue

Charlie1100

Post by Charlie1100 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:14 pm

GuidoK wrote:
Charlie1100 wrote:I'm gonna get an Obd2 reader and the app for iPhone and see what happens!
Take note that stock Iphones only work with wifi obd2 readers afaik and not with bluetooth obd2 readers (that requires a workaround).
Yep I've ordered a wifi obd2 reader so hopefully that will give me an indication
2007 2.0 BMW Z4- Blue

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:25 pm

sdorry to hear your woes Charlie.

I ended up selling my 2008 Z4 coupe to webuyanycar because the ABS unit went :(

I hope its something simple like a wheel speed sensor - post up your findings :thumbsup:
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Charlie1100

Post by Charlie1100 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:40 pm

jamie_z4 wrote:sdorry to hear your woes Charlie.

I ended up selling my 2008 Z4 coupe to webuyanycar because the ABS unit went :(

I hope its something simple like a wheel speed sensor - post up your findings :thumbsup:
Thanks Jamie! I will indeed I'm hearing a lot of mixed responses, could be sensor could be ABS unit etc! I shall let you know once it has arrived!
2007 2.0 BMW Z4- Blue

Charlie1100

Post by Charlie1100 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi All,

I have got an App on my phone which has read the codes but it only seems to be a basic one, is there an app which is close to being free and tells you more?

Anyway I got the following error codes:

P2A70
P2C6E
P0159

The app didn't seem to help, can anyone guide me on what this is?
2007 2.0 BMW Z4- Blue

gov

Post by gov » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:21 pm

This is a common fault - I had the same lights come up a couple of years ago - diagnosed as one of the servo brake sensors - the one nearest the servo under the bonnet - this is very common - hope it is the same with yours - an easy DIY job or around £140 fitted - sensor itself is around £90 - hope this all it is - as said before you need a proper diagnosis to determine the cause.

You can bet the previous owner knew this - you might have a case against him if he deliberately misrepresented the car in order to hide the fault but this would be hard to prove. I would pay him a visit when you know the diagnosis to see if he will contribute towards some of the cost

Charlie1100

Post by Charlie1100 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:28 pm

gov wrote:This is a common fault - I had the same lights come up a couple of years ago - diagnosed as one of the servo brake sensors - the one nearest the servo under the bonnet - this is very common - hope it is the same with yours - an easy DIY job or around £140 fitted - sensor itself is around £90 - hope this all it is - as said before you need a proper diagnosis to determine the cause.

You can bet the previous owner knew this - you might have a case against him if he deliberately misrepresented the car in order to hide the fault but this would be hard to prove. I would pay him a visit when you know the diagnosis to see if he will contribute towards some of the cost
Ah okay we shall see then I shall have to take it to a garage, I have just cleared the faults and the lights are still there?
2007 2.0 BMW Z4- Blue

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Don't know of any free apps that will do exactly what you want, however I think the free version of the Carly app will allow you to read the codes. Won't hurt to try. The full version allows you to reset the codes (but they'll come straight back if the fault is still there, obviously), and to do coding on your car (lights, alarm, warning chimes, wipers etc etc). I think its worth it for less than the cost of one visit to the garage.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:13 pm

gov wrote:This is a common fault - I had the same lights come up a couple of years ago - diagnosed as one of the servo brake sensors - the one nearest the servo under the bonnet - this is very common
P0159 is an oxygen sensor related fault.
So he might have multiple problems.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

benneyboy1

Post by benneyboy1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi charlie welcome to the forum my advice is find someone or a local garage with some proper diagnostic equipment. Firstly your rear heated window not working could be a simple fuse issue but if your heater fans dont blast out when you have the fan heater fan speed turned up to max and possibly your air con does not work either your car may be stuck in"delivery mode" and may need the fault code cleared to get the heated window working again.
Regarding your 3 warning lights i had the same issue recently unfortunately i dont have the error codes to hand but my issue turned out to be a well known z4 issue with the componnts that make up the control unit for the abs. I had mine removed and sent to ecu testing in Derbyshire although they advised no faults could be found they recommended a rebuild of the unit with more modern components £234 in total for the rebuild. The rebuilt unit was refitted on the car and touch wood the issue appears to have been resolved. Let me know if you want me to advise you of the codes. I am based in Derbyshire not sure were you are but feel free to private message me if you need more info

Charlie1100

Post by Charlie1100 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:50 pm

benneyboy1 wrote:Hi charlie welcome to the forum my advice is find someone or a local garage with some proper diagnostic equipment. Firstly your rear heated window not working could be a simple fuse issue but if your heater fans dont blast out when you have the fan heater fan speed turned up to max and possibly your air con does not work either your car may be stuck in"delivery mode" and may need the fault code cleared to get the heated window working again.
Regarding your 3 warning lights i had the same issue recently unfortunately i dont have the error codes to hand but my issue turned out to be a well known z4 issue with the componnts that make up the control unit for the abs. I had mine removed and sent to ecu testing in Derbyshire although they advised no faults could be found they recommended a rebuild of the unit with more modern components £234 in total for the rebuild. The rebuilt unit was refitted on the car and touch wood the issue appears to have been resolved. Let me know if you want me to advise you of the codes. I am based in Derbyshire not sure were you are but feel free to private message me if you need more info
Thanks! I've got it booked into a garage so hopefully that will determine what's wrong with it
2007 2.0 BMW Z4- Blue

Charlie1100

Post by Charlie1100 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:40 am

So garage have confirmed it is the abs pump, £800 from BMW but he would fit the part if I bought one online so looking at 350+ for part and labour
2007 2.0 BMW Z4- Blue

maxman

Post by maxman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:55 am

Charlie1100 wrote:So garage have confirmed it is the abs pump, £800 from BMW but he would fit the part if I bought one online so looking at 350+ for part and labour
ECP testing in Derby will be your best bet .Thry will be around £350 if you send them the pump.They do a quick turn around.They repaired the abs pump on my daughters car last year ,the turn around was 8 days.Their is a lifetime guarantee on the work..
As has been said I would be getting back to the guy who sold you the car for money to cover the repair as the yarn he told you was far from the truth.