Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlamp Colour

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Headlamp Colour

Post by RickRob » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:01 pm

I have just noticed that when I am on full beam and the light is shining on a white surface (garage doors) one of the lights is white, whilst the other has a bit of a "light purple" tinge.

Is this a sign that the bulb is on its way out or that I just have different bulbs?

Please shed any light you can! :P
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Headlamp Colour

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:34 am

They can have a colour shift just before failure, or it could be the quirk of xenon that at certain angles they appear to have a tinge.
I'd be ready to buy a pair of bulbs
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Headlamp Colour

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Usually head towards pink on their way out, have a look from the front when on. Worth getting a new pair ready :)
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

biojo

Headlamp Colour

Post by biojo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:18 pm

yeah mine did it just before xmas,

noticed on cold start up odd time the light would flicker, then turned to a purple colour, replaced with osram nightbreakers and all is fine

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Headlamp Colour

Post by RickRob » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:10 pm

The purple bulb is no longer purple - it's dead!

I realise, with the benefit of hindsight, I should have got them changed when it was obvious that one was on the way out. However, they now need replacing ASAP as I drive in the dark most days.

I should stress that there is no way that I am going to do the replacements myself. The urgency precludes ordering off the Internet.

Despite strong reservations I find myself with little choice but to get Halfords to supply and fit. Is this a massive "NO"? If so, what are my alternatives?

All thoughts gratefully received. Thanks!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

sw4nny

Headlamp Colour

Post by sw4nny » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 pm

If you have a trolley jack ,wheel brace etc buy the bulbs from Halfords or similar car spares shop ecp if you have one close by.
Fit them yourself to ensure the covers are fitted back correctly to avoid moisture in the headlights :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Headlamp Colour

Post by RickRob » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:24 pm

sw4nny wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 pm If you have a trolley jack ,wheel brace etc buy the bulbs from Halfords or similar car spares shop ecp if you have one close by.
Fit them yourself to ensure the covers are fitted back correctly to avoid moisture in the headlights :thumbsup:
Thanks. I do have a trolly jack, wheel brace etc but I have no confidence to do actually do the job myself. At £60 for each side I don't want to damage them.

The handbook also stresses that only people who know what they're doing should replace xenon bulbs.

Tcochrane92

Headlamp Colour

Post by Tcochrane92 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 pm

One of mine definitely has a purple tinge... :cry: :|
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i

sw4nny

Headlamp Colour

Post by sw4nny » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Sorry didn't notice they were xenons ,please ignore my last post :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Headlamp Colour

Post by Chris_D » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:43 pm

RickRob wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:24 pm
sw4nny wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 pm If you have a trolley jack ,wheel brace etc buy the bulbs from Halfords or similar car spares shop ecp if you have one close by.
Thanks. I do have a trolly jack, wheel brace etc but I have no confidence to do actually do the job myself. At £60 for each side I don't want to damage them.

The handbook also stresses that only people who know what they're doing should replace xenon bulbs.
I'd suggest getting clued-up and having a crack at it yourself. Looks easy enough imo. Will be swapping in some new'uns myself soon
there's a ton of vids on yewtewb:

Make sure ignition is off and preferably battery is disconnected before going near the ballasts. lots of high voltage knocking around in those headlamp enclosures.
If using a trolley jack and removing front wheels don't rely solely onthe jack to keep ur car in the air. i always use axle stands placed directly under the front suspension for safety if the car drops/moves etc, but still use the jack to support the car.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Headlamp Colour

Post by RickRob » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks Chris. A helpful and clear video, but I really don't have the confidence in my ability, or lack thereof, on anything mechanical. My biggest fear is nothing working when I fail to put it back together properly.

It's looking increasingly like a trip to Halfords, which fills me with almost as much dread as attempting it myself!

Congrats on your Lifer status! :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Headlamp Colour

Post by Chris_D » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:07 pm

RickRob wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:59 pm Thanks Chris. A helpful and clear video, but I really don't have the confidence in my ability, or lack thereof, on anything mechanical. My biggest fear is nothing working when I fail to put it back together properly.

It's looking increasingly like a trip to Halfords, which fills me with almost as much dread as attempting it myself!

Fair do's mate. what bulbs are you gonna go for? pics on completion.... :poke:

and thx :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Headlamp Colour

Post by RickRob » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Chris_D wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:07 pm
RickRob wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:59 pm Thanks Chris. A helpful and clear video, but I really don't have the confidence in my ability, or lack thereof, on anything mechanical. My biggest fear is nothing working when I fail to put it back together properly.

Fair do's mate. what bulbs are you gonna go for? pics on completion.... :poke:

and thx :thumbsup:
If I do go the Halfords route then I only have two choices - their own brand at £59.99 each or ones made by GE at £69.99 each.

If you want pics you may have to wait until I have restored the headlamp glass and I know that I will be struggling for time in the near future. Getting a puncture on the Discovery fixed tomorrow (when I'm supposed to be "working from home") and then Saturday getting roof motor fixed and bulbs done on the Zed.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Headlamp Colour

Post by MACK » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 pm

If you dont want to trust the Halfords muppets any decent garage should easily be able to do this. Do you have one local you use/trust?
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Headlamp Colour

Post by RickRob » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:14 pm

MACK wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 pm If you dont want to trust the Halfords muppets any decent garage should easily be able to do this. Do you have one local you use/trust?
Thanks MACK. There is a very good independent that I use - they did my last 2 services, including an Inspection 2. I think that I'll call them in the morning to see if they could squeeze me in tomorrow, but they're usually maxed out for weeks into the future.

It all serves me right for not doing the sensible thing when it started to go purple.