Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
idej_z4

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by idej_z4 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:22 pm

The arch rub on the drivers side is driving me crazy! :headbang: Its really affecting my ability to have fun on country roads.

I've got 19s on with profiles of 235 and I was told that if I got 225s then that would make the difference - is it really just that or is there anything else I should be looking for or considering? It seems a small change for a big problem!

I've also had it lowered on Eibachs.

Cheers.

bmwaddict

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by bmwaddict » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:31 pm

What make/model tyres do you have fitted mate? Different tyres have different shape, some have slimmer sidewalls, more square or more rounded profile. I'd go with 225s as most advise on 8.5 (I assume yours are?) 19s when lowered. Or maybe get thicker spring pads, will raise up a bit, I think standard are 5mm but come in 10 and 15mm.
Someone more knowledge than me will come along shortly, I've always just gone down a tyre width or raised up slightly (if on coilovers).
Hope this helps.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

idej_z4

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by idej_z4 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:35 pm

bmwaddict wrote:What make/model tyres do you have fitted mate? Different tyres have different shape, some have slimmer sidewalls, more square or more rounded profile. I'd go with 225s as most advise on 8.5 (I assume yours are?) 19s when lowered. Or maybe get thicker spring pads, will raise up a bit, I think standard are 5mm but come in 10 and 15mm.
Someone more knowledge than me will come along shortly, I've always just gone down a tyre width or raised up slightly (if on coilovers).
Hope this helps.
I've got Falken tyres...and the spring pads sounds interesting - I will do some research tonight and see what I can find out. Thanks muchly!!!

synthedup

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by synthedup » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:45 pm

bmwaddict wrote:What make/model tyres do you have fitted mate? Different tyres have different shape, some have slimmer sidewalls, more square or more rounded profile. I'd go with 225s as most advise on 8.5 (I assume yours are?) 19s when lowered. Or maybe get thicker spring pads, will raise up a bit, I think standard are 5mm but come in 10 and 15mm.
Hope this helps.

Arnt the spring pads relevant for the rear? I believe looking at tyre sizes the rubbing is in the front?

I have 19" with 225 on the front lowered (coilovers) and have no rubbing :)

Buckz

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by Buckz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:52 pm

I've got 19's with 235 up front and falken 453's and no rubbing.

mind you mine is on stock sport suspension not lowered.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by jamie_z4 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Daniel. Sean who's on here as z4 pilot has my old alloys Same offsets as yours on his z4 coupe
He had rubbing on a 235 and went down to a 225 uni royal and it still rubs on eibachs, only real solution is to machine rear face of wheel slightly or refit oem springs
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:22 pm

What is the offset of your wheels? It could be the most significant point in all this and yet no one has mentioned it :o

GreyZed

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by GreyZed » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Check your rear springs. I had bad rubbing at front nearside wore through liner and later found broken near side rear spring. Rubbing gone after replacing both rear springs.
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

z4pilot

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by z4pilot » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:59 pm

jamie_z4 wrote:Daniel. Sean who's on here as z4 pilot has my old alloys Same offsets as yours on his z4 coupe
He had rubbing on a 235 and went down to a 225 uni royal and it still rubs on eibachs, only real solution is to machine rear face of wheel slightly or refit oem springs
Yep I can confirm I still get rubbing with et38 19's with 225 uniroyal rainsports. It has reduced massively though from the 235 section tyres I had originally. Like you, it's spoiling the driving experience somewhat, as you can't really press on unless the road is a very good surface, without the occasional rub. I've marked my arch liners, but it's yet to rub through.
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:10 pm

I had 235's on the front and lowered on Eibachs with no issues..

I dare say the wheels are the incorrect offset..

idej_z4

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by idej_z4 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote:I had 235's on the front and lowered on Eibachs with no issues..

Thanks for this...how do I get the offset changed?

idej_z4

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by idej_z4 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:35 pm

z4pilot wrote:
jamie_z4 wrote:Daniel. Sean who's on here as z4 pilot has my old alloys Same offsets as yours on his z4 coupe
Yep I can confirm I still get rubbing with et38 19's with 225 uniroyal rainsports. It has reduced massively though from the 235 section tyres I had originally. Like you, it's spoiling the driving experience somewhat, as you can't really press on unless the road is a very good surface, without the occasional rub. I've marked my arch liners, but it's yet to rub through.
My arches have rubbed through! If you see below your post it sounds like the offset - going to see if I can get anymore info on how to change this then have a go.

bmwaddict

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by bmwaddict » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:37 pm

idej_jedi wrote:

You can't, offset is how close the mating face of the wheel is in relation to the front/back of the wheel. All alloys have an offset, usually stamped into the back of the spokes.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

idej_z4

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by idej_z4 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:37 pm

Dav the wheel nut wrote:What is the offset of your wheels? It could be the most significant point in all this and yet no one has mentioned it :o
Not sure what my offset is (or how to check it). From the sounds of things this could be the problem. Any ideas what they should be?

idej_z4

Unbearable Arch Rub!

Post by idej_z4 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:38 pm

bmwaddict wrote:
idej_jedi wrote:

You can't, offset is how close the mating face of the wheel is in relation to the front/back of the wheel. All alloys have an offset, usually stamped into the back of the spokes.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :thumbsdown: