Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another Roof Issue! Flashing Red Light

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
bladeowner

Post by bladeowner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Russ59 wrote:
markplant wrote:I can see the 2 pictures in the link look different, but if it's folding incorrectly, what do you alter to change the way it folds

I just stop my roof half way and fold out the 2 bits in the pics, (well only one on mine) then continue dropping the roof and it locks into place.
Some say by leaving your roof down a couple of days with the bits folded out they then tend to stay in place but mine don't.
It's no hardship to stop the roof and pull them out. It seems a very common occurance.
I put those pics on the previous link up nearly 4 years ago and I still do as you do today. I also check that the hood won't rub on the trim running behind the boot (i.e. below the window when the roofs up) as I think some have suffered from holes wearing in the roof.
2004 Sapphire Black 2.5 SE Z4 SMG

touring_style

Post by touring_style » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:35 pm

As the OP here's a quick update;

I haven't had the issue come back since the temperature has increased in the last couple of weeks.

I really do think my issue was a result of the hood being very cold and a bit stiff and therefore not settling properly.

I've done about 250 miles in the past coupe of weeks so its had plenty of miles to show itself.

For you guys who still have the problem does the issue go away if your roof is pressed down to the extent that the roof is latched closed? - a flashing red LED would suggest the micro switch on the roof frame on the passenger side isn't being pressed and is therefore telling the car that the roof isn't in the fully down position.

Frustratingly the micro switch is buried deep and I don't think you can even see it, let alone get access to it without removing the entire rood assembly.

I hope this might be of help to someone...
2004 2.2i SE