Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Key Fob not working.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Russ59

Key Fob not working.

Post by Russ59 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:51 am

This post has just made me think!!
I have only ever used one of my keys in nearly 4 years of owning the car, just gone and tried my other key and opened car and started fine, surely it would be discharged in nearly 4 years of no use.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Key Fob not working.

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:16 pm

Russ59 wrote:This post has just made me think!!
I have only ever used one of my keys in nearly 4 years of owning the car, just gone and tried my other key and opened car and started fine, surely it would be discharged in nearly 4 years of no use.
Clearly not, unless someone drives it while you work or sleep :)
I'm not sure why it should be flat. Some batteries hold their charge for years
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Callahan

Key Fob not working.

Post by Callahan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Well I went for an 80 mile trip today and the fob still doesn't work. As such I'm sending it to Paul at Automobile Locksmith to see what he can do. Will report back next week with the results.

LewisB

Key Fob not working.

Post by LewisB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:27 pm

Callahan wrote:Well I went for an 80 mile trip today and the fob still doesn't work. As such I'm sending it to Paul at Automobile Locksmith to see what he can do. Will report back next week with the results.
Good stuff :thumbsup:
Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe - Ruby Black - Champagne Nappa leather - my weekend drive......

chapeau

Key Fob not working.

Post by chapeau » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:13 am

mattyp wrote:Other option is to contact Ben at the following and get yourself a nice Bentley style flip key...if you are in the east london area.

http://www.bmkeys.com/
That sounds a real good option as I only received one key with my Z. Don't suppose anyone knows of someone more Midlands based who offers this kind of service? A google search didn't bring up anything from what I could see. :?
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

mattyp

Key Fob not working.

Post by mattyp » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:24 pm

chapeau wrote:
mattyp wrote:Other option is to contact Ben at the following and get yourself a nice Bentley style flip key...if you are in the east london area.

http://www.bmkeys.com/
That sounds a real good option as I only received one key with my Z. Don't suppose anyone knows of someone more Midlands based who offers this kind of service? A google search didn't bring up anything from what I could see. :?
Unfortunately don't know anyone in Brum, but Ben only charges about £70 for the key and coding, reads fault codes and clears them as well. All round great guy!
E86 2007 Monaco Blue Metallic 3.0 Si SE with Beige Heated Leather

Callahan

Key Fob not working.

Post by Callahan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:49 am

Received my key back from Automobile Locksmith yesterday and all is good with the world again! Turns out it was the battery but my pathetic attempt to re-solder it had caused a short circuit!! I needed to recode the key, which should be done as follows

Method 2:
To do this procedure you need to have one working key and one key that needs to be programmed.
1) Get in and close all doors.
2) Turn on the ignition and turn off quickly. (No more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds.
3) Remove the 1st key.
4) Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote receiver antenna.
5) Hold down the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times. Release the unlock button and the doors lock which confirms the operation.
6) Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc.

If it does not work, try doing the keys in opposite order. Key 2 then key 1, vs 1 then 2.

It's important to remember step 6, as if you don't you'll find that your original key no longer works!!

An excellent service for £28 as opposed to a new key at £200!

Thanks for everyones help.

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Key Fob not working.

Post by jabber » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:13 pm

rapidroy wrote:you can try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNny3tZwk-k
Amazingly tried this and it worked just needed to recode the keys and now have both working
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Key Fob not working.

Post by tomscott » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:21 pm

Was going to mention use a toothbrush charger :thumbsup:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Key Fob not working.

Post by mr wilks » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:27 pm

I took my spare E86 key to my indy as it would start the car but wouldn't remotely open , he said the battery was fine but re coded it & now it works perfectly so worth trying before sending away :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo