Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reason why remote central locking goes down - key fob battery working

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Markh

Post by Markh » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi forum,

This one is getting too me now, tried the obvious key programming and key fob battery replacement/main battery/fuse box etc...

Are there other common reasons why the remote locking system won't work, however door switches/deadlocks and boot switch all still work internally and deadlock every thing.

I've heard it mentioned about a senor for the seat belt on the passenger side but can't remember if it was related to BMW's, which knocks out the remote locking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:14 pm

It could be the gm5 module that has the relays that can become faulty
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Markh

Post by Markh » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks, I'm planning to take a look at the GM5 module tomorrow - but how can you tell its faulty?

Is there a way of diagnosing it or testing it to see if the GM5 unit is fubarred, or would plugin diagnostics be the only way to find out?

Thanks in advance

vester86

Post by vester86 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:14 pm

how old is the battery of your car? bad/old battery gives weird (Electrical) problems on these cars...

sharpyboy

Post by sharpyboy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Markh wrote:Thanks, I'm planning to take a look at the GM5 module tomorrow - but how can you tell its faulty?

Is there a way of diagnosing it or testing it to see if the GM5 unit is fubarred, or would plugin diagnostics be the only way to find out?

Thanks in advance
I think if everything works from the buttons in the cabin and only faulty from the key fob remote it suggests the gm5 module relays are faulty. If the fuel filler door also doesn't unlock, and/or the problem is worse in hot or cold weather, then almost certainly your GM5 is at fault.
The problem will be intermittent at first, usually with unlocking rather than locking, and getting worse in hot weather, before finally failing completely.
2006 Z4 2.5i gap-tech rch+ roof mod + zhp + roof motor now in boot + DLV Exhaust mod

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:49 pm

If it is the GM5, and you can use a soldering iron, the relays are easy to swap.

Mike

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:If it is the GM5, and you can use a soldering iron, the relays are easy to swap.

Mike
Wish I had known this before I paid out £500 to have it replaced when it failed causing my window motor to burn out !
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

bluespit

Post by bluespit » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:27 pm

My gm5 went. Telltales we're locking ok but not unlocking from the fob. Not unlocking from the inside button.

Unlocking with a key would leave the petrol cap and cubby locked.

Easy to remove but used eBay service to replace the relays, my iron wouldn't touch the solder.
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!