Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hand brake lever removal?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
CV05OKL

Post by CV05OKL » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:37 pm

How do I get the handbrake lever off the car? ( 2005 Z4 2.2 )
The ratchet has worn and won't hold in the normal position with the parking brake applied.
I have a good secondhand spare and after many trials and tribulations have all the centre trim off. I thought it would be a simple matter of undoing 6 bolts and unclipping the cables, silly me, how could I have thought BMW would make it so simple?
It looks a though it will have to come off from underneath the car, problem here is that I can only easily jack up one side of the car at a time as garage space is limited.
Any ideas/helpful suggestions?
Colin

MJJamieson

Post by MJJamieson » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:54 pm

Your right it's from underneath, behind the exhaust, heatshield and prop shaft...... Good luck. :(
2004 E85 Z4 2.5i SE Sterling Grey.

CV05OKL

Post by CV05OKL » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Thank You,
I suppose that means I will have to drop the prop shaft and exhaust? :(
Colin

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:20 pm

CV05OKL wrote:Thank You,
I suppose that means I will have to drop the prop shaft and exhaust? :(
Colin
Yep- had mine replaced under warranty on my 2.2 and that is what they did- may be worth replacing the prop coupling donut while you have gone this far.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!