Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Window seal gap

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
LordOxygen

Window seal gap

Post by LordOxygen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi, I have found the source of the wind noise we've heard at motorway speeds on the passenger's side of the car.
There's a very small gap along approx 1 inch of window / hood seal.

I've played about adjusting the window angle by moving the 10mm bolt under the door, however i've not been able to close it up.
The gap is about the thickness of 2 sheets of notepaper and about 1 inch long.

Can i buy a new section of rubber seal? is there a way to pad it out or make the existing seal expand?
Any ideas or help on how I can close this up would be gratefully received.
thank you.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Window seal gap

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:04 pm

you can pull the seal, pad it out a little behind then refit the seal...may require a little trial and error :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Jollyjoiner

Window seal gap

Post by Jollyjoiner » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:14 pm

Does the door latch need adjusting in a little to tighten it up ??

Although this will pull the door in a little from the rear wing.

Could be worth a shot
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

LordOxygen

Window seal gap

Post by LordOxygen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:18 pm

Thanks, the door lines up a treat with the wings, and it seals well everywhere else so that would be a last resort tbh. I'll have a go a packing, i guess it just pulls off, is there a tried and tested material to use? I think the rubber has just dried out and shrunk abit.

LordOxygen

Window seal gap

Post by LordOxygen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Just found this video, it doesn't need packing anywhere near that much, but makes clear what needs doing, will sort that over the weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLQ6VKx7_Fo

Cheers

srhutch

Window seal gap

Post by srhutch » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:14 pm

It is possible to adjust the window. There are two screw underneath the door that allow for this and will move the top of the glass towards or away from the roof so removing any gaps.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Window seal gap

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:38 pm

srhutch wrote:It is possible to adjust the window. There are two screw underneath the door that allow for this and will move the top of the glass towards or away from the roof so removing any gaps.
yeah...he left that out of that video..10mm nut iirc clockwise to raise the glass?
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

LordOxygen

Window seal gap

Post by LordOxygen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:42 pm

srhutch wrote:It is possible to adjust the window. There are two screw underneath the door that allow for this and will move the top of the glass towards or away from the roof so removing any gaps.
Ive tried that earlier today (mentioned in the OP), I spent a good hour on the drive adjusting the position of the window but couldn't get the gap to close, it's in the middle of the window seal which makes if difficult.
I think a 1mm shim plus some additional adjustment will sort it.