Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cable rubbing on drop link

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
JimBob78

Post by JimBob78 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:26 pm

I've got this persistent knock which seems to come from the left rear, all suspension components have been checked/ replaced so reasonably confident that's not the cause. I noticed yesterday that there's a thick stiff cable that runs alongside the lower arm and has been rubbing the top of the drop link, it doesn't appear to clip down anywhere, is this normal and what is it?? Handbrake cable?

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:53 am

Not exactly sure what it is but weirdly I have just solved a similar issue on my wife's vw polo there was enough play in the cable to move it slightly as it was rubbing on the inside of the tyre.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Greg 01

Post by Greg 01 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi guys .
I also have this on my car no noise but can see it's been rubbing a little it goes very tight when I jack the car up .
Nachtblau metallic 3.0 si auto ,cup holders , whippy back on :thumbsup:

JimBob78

Post by JimBob78 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Not sure if it's the cause of the noise but definitely not right! Does yours clip away somewhere? Mine seem to hang loose on both sides... I'll try to get a pic

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:18 pm

JimBob78 wrote:I've got this persistent knock which seems to come from the left rear, all suspension components have been checked/ replaced so reasonably confident that's not the cause. I noticed yesterday that there's a thick stiff cable that runs alongside the lower arm and has been rubbing the top of the drop link, it doesn't appear to clip down anywhere, is this normal and what is it?? Handbrake cable?
Subscribed to this as I have a similar knock which sounds like it's coming from the nearside rear. Only hear it a relatively low speeds when driving over very broken surfaces or the type of rumble strip tarmac they put down on the approach to pedestrian crossings etc. Sounds like someone rattling a squash ball in a cardboard box. I'll check to see if I have the same cable visible, but a photo would be useful.
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

JimBob78

Post by JimBob78 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Update!
I think after 2 years I've finally found the cause of my irritating noise and no, it's not my girlfriend.
I'm 90% sure it's the handbrake cable resting on the droplink. Its pressed quite firmly against it and i can feel where the metal has been worn away from the droplink. When i try to move it away it just pings back so think I'll need to disassemble to see what the cause is, the other side is fine. Here's a pic for reference

bazza190

Post by bazza190 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:21 pm

JimBob78 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 pm Update!
I think after 2 years I've finally found the cause of my irritating noise and no, it's not my girlfriend.
I'm 90% sure it's the handbrake cable resting on the droplink. Its pressed quite firmly against it and i can feel where the metal has been worn away from the droplink. When i try to move it away it just pings back so think I'll need to disassemble to see what the cause is, the other side is fine. Here's a pic for reference

I was having a quick look under my car today and noticed my handbrake cable on the drivers side has been rubbing on the droplink as well. Passenger side is ok. Another job added to the list.

Barrie

PS your wheels look ace, 18's or 19's?
2006 Titanium Silver Coupe ZHP Stubby MM Tips Eibachs Royals Wheel 19" Bola B11s