Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering feels strange

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
aquarianone

Steering feels strange

Post by aquarianone » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi guys,

Not sure if i'm imagining it but the last few days i've noticed the steering seems a bit "off"...it's like when you take a turn you're having to turn the steering wheel more than usual...really strange sensation as usually the zed feels pretty tight and doesn't require a lot of steering input and now it's like turning a bus.

The wheels and tyres are all in good nick, suspension is all fine , the tyre pressure's are all good, had the geo checked and it's all still within spec...had the mot done a a week or so ago and it passed with no major issues.

I gather there's no power steering fluid. but there is a steering sensor (which has been replaced a good few years ago according to the history with the car)...

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar...or if I should just stop over analyzing this car! :(
Midnight blue, 3.0si sport coupe, champagne nappa leather, piano black trim, stubby, DLV exhaust and a bunch of other stuff :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Steering feels strange

Post by Chris_D » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:10 pm

uh ohhh.
Could be the start of the dreaded 'sticky steering'. However, I understand the symptoms for that are a 'dead spot' when driving straight.
Maybe a scan to see if any codes are being thrown up...?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

bladeowner

Steering feels strange

Post by bladeowner » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:22 pm

Sticky steering feels how it sounds - amazingly :) but is not that easy to describe verbally. Here's my effort though - instead of the steering wheel effort required being smooth and constant it slightly resists small movements giving the feel of a notchiness through the wheel.

Doesn't sound like the OP's issue though from his description.
2004 Sapphire Black 2.5 SE Z4 SMG

aquarianone

Steering feels strange

Post by aquarianone » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:37 pm

Yeah I don't think it's "sticky" steering as such...more overly fluid :D

I've tried the Sport button and it does still firm up...it's just the turn in that seems exaggerated.

Wasn't sure if that points to the steering position sensor being messed up...i'd imagine it would throw up an error code and warning light if it was playing up...have to get the car diagnostic done again i guess to see what's up.

Some days I love this car...some days not so much :D
Midnight blue, 3.0si sport coupe, champagne nappa leather, piano black trim, stubby, DLV exhaust and a bunch of other stuff :thumbsup:

Roundozo

Steering feels strange

Post by Roundozo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:10 pm

Has anyone ever reported sticky steering from the coupe? Mine doesn't feel right ATM and it's had a complete overhaul of all suspension components, new tyres etc so i know its not that. I'm thinking my rack might be missing a few teeth. Anyone had that?
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

Rufus59

Steering feels strange

Post by Rufus59 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:09 pm

To be honest, these cars have a bit of a reputation for how poor the steering feels even when it's working as intended. I'd leave it be if there is no perisstant error code flagging on dash. I know it can work out expensive to fix issues with the EPAS system.
E85 3.0l i Roadster - Titan Silver