Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof electrical issues...

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
evom3z4

Post by evom3z4 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:21 pm

I have not had the roof down for a good 3/4 months. Now when i try pressing the button sometimes i get nothing at all not even lights. Sometimes it unlatches and I can here the roof motor whirring but it doesn't do anything else, same with going back up. Funny thing is when its not working at all, If i turn the steering wheel it then unlatches as if its sparking into life.

I have had the battery tested and its fine showing 13.6 on idle and 14.2 when using all the electrics.

The fact that the button sometimes works and sometimes doesn't sounds like an electrical issue?

any ideas would be appreciate before it gets torn apart! :headbang:
m3evo smg (arrrghh!)
z3m roadster
Now in a Z4 3.0 SE Roadster Silver with Red Leather, Nav, Heated Seats, Angel eyes, stubby, Cruise, hard top
2013* new addition E36 M3 Evo! (couldn't resist!) and then the engine went pop :headbang:
Audi coupe 2.6 :P

maxman

Post by maxman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:25 pm

I take it you have checked the shelf in the boot is not in the up pos.I would try and give the roof a helping hand to open when it unlatches.

evom3z4

Post by evom3z4 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:02 pm

maxman wrote:I take it you have checked the shelf in the boot is not in the up pos.I would try and give the roof a helping hand to open when it unlatches.
Yup shelf is fine, micro switch seems to be working ok... If you give it a helping hand i can put it both up and down with the motor whirring away but not doing much....
m3evo smg (arrrghh!)
z3m roadster
Now in a Z4 3.0 SE Roadster Silver with Red Leather, Nav, Heated Seats, Angel eyes, stubby, Cruise, hard top
2013* new addition E36 M3 Evo! (couldn't resist!) and then the engine went pop :headbang:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:14 pm

evom3z4 wrote:
maxman wrote:I take it you have checked the shelf in the boot is not in the up pos.I would try and give the roof a helping hand to open when it unlatches.
Yup shelf is fine, micro switch seems to be working ok... If you give it a helping hand i can put it both up and down with the motor whirring away but not doing much....
Sounds like its wallet bashing time I'm afraid :thumbsdown:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

maxman

Post by maxman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:55 pm

ronk wrote:
evom3z4 wrote:
Agree ,depending were you live ,you could maybe get it done form £80 upwards.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:04 pm

maxman wrote:
ronk wrote:
evom3z4 wrote:
If you do a search there's a well respected fella here in Durham!

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:34 pm

Sounds like it's low on oil. I can relocate it to the boot, top up the oil and do a coding/diagnostic session for you if you are close enough..

Mike

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:08 pm

if you can hear motor activity is not going to be electrical - more likely as said before - Hydraulic.

evom3z4

Post by evom3z4 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:05 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:Sounds like it's low on oil. I can relocate it to the boot, top up the oil and do a coding/diagnostic session for you if you are close enough..

Mike
Thanks... We tried to do a diagnostic and for some reason it couldnt communicate. Where can I top up the oil from?

Many thanks
m3evo smg (arrrghh!)
z3m roadster

evom3z4

Post by evom3z4 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:06 pm

ronk wrote:
maxman wrote:
ronk wrote:
Im near Manchester... Though if hes that good i guess i could drive up for the day?
m3evo smg (arrrghh!)
z3m roadster

maxman

Post by maxman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:31 pm

evom3z4 wrote:
ronk wrote:
maxman wrote: Agree ,depending were you live ,you could maybe get it done form £80 upwards.
Im near Manchester... Though if hes that good i guess i could drive up for the day?
Ducklakeview is close to you in St Helens

evom3z4

Post by evom3z4 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:24 am

maxman wrote:
evom3z4 wrote:
ronk wrote:
Ducklakeview is close to you in St Helens
Will give him a shout... cheers :thumbsup:
m3evo smg (arrrghh!)
z3m roadster

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:51 am

Mike (Ducklakeview) removed, fixed and re-located my non working and very sorry looking roof motor in around an hour last weekend. Give him a shout, decent chap and knows his stuff.

evom3z4

Post by evom3z4 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:58 pm

Lance wrote:Mike (Ducklakeview) removed, fixed and re-located my non working and very sorry looking roof motor in around an hour last weekend. Give him a shout, decent chap and knows his stuff.
Booked in on the weekend, fingers crossed he can sort it... :thumbsup:
m3evo smg (arrrghh!)
z3m roadster

evom3z4

Post by evom3z4 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:51 pm

***UPDATE***

The sun was shining and i was depressed, I sent out an SOS to Mike and within an hour of pulling up to his place, the roof motor was relocated and with a few tweaks in full working order :driving:

Thoroughly recommend Mike for any Roof Issues... Oh and his new mod on Z makes it sounds mega. Once ive got some pennies I will be back asap!! :thumbsup:
Last edited by evom3z4 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m3evo smg (arrrghh!)
z3m roadster