Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight condensation... STILL

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Zero4

Post by Zero4 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:59 pm

So after changing out a bulb and accidentally getting a wire caught in the seal causing condensation I purchased a new back and seal from BM ( i got this before I realised the wire caused a dent in the seal, could have just reversed the seal really )

I drove the car without the headlight back on for a couple days and the light dried up nicely, put the new back on with the new seal being careful not to have anything get in the way but it still mists up, not as severe as before but it still covers in a light condensation.

What is going on here? I thought the back plate fully sealed the headlight?

Any thoughts?

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:44 pm

I assume the light wasnt fully dried out...I left a big silica gel bag in mine for a few weeks to make sure it was fully free of any moisture
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Zero4

Post by Zero4 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Where did you put the gel bag?

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Zero4 wrote:Where did you put the gel bag?
just inside the fitting..there is bags of room inside the light, then popped the cover back on..it was in there a few weeks and they will pull any remaining moisture out the light...mine have been bone dry ever since and i didnt even buy a new cover
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:43 pm

The spring clip on the back of the cover has to be pushed fully home with a satisfying 'click'. If this has been done and you still have problems, I would smear some silicone lubricant along the seal to reinforce its efficacy.
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

Dale_B

Post by Dale_B » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Water can get trapped in the headlight assembly easily.
I ended up having to remove my headlight and dry it out suspended over the radiator in the house for 48hrs..
Assembled the the new back cover and seal then installed the 'complete' headlight back into the car.

Not had any issues since.

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:52 pm

Try hairdryer on lens

Zero4

Post by Zero4 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:16 am

Thanks chaps. I'll put a hairdryer on it tomorrow and a gel pack too.

The clip clicks in both contacts tightl with that satisfying click, and very tight so that's no issue, the seal and back are new. I'll try some silicone or from some other searches I've done some people have used Vaseline on the seal too.

I want to get it back to perfect as I've polished the lights recently and they look really good and it's coming up to sale time I think. Wouldn't want the new owner to have to piss about with this

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:39 am

Zero4 wrote:Thanks chaps. I'll put a hairdryer on it tomorrow and a gel pack too.

The clip clicks in both contacts tightl with that satisfying click, and very tight so that's no issue, the seal and back are new. I'll try some silicone or from some other searches I've done some people have used Vaseline on the seal too.

I want to get it back to perfect as I've polished the lights recently and they look really good and it's coming up to sale time I think. Wouldn't want the new owner to have to piss about with this
NOT Silicone, silicone grease.
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

Zero4

Post by Zero4 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:52 am

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Even if it was dry if you seal it on a day when the air is moist it'll mist up. I have this problem since I fitted new bulbs when it was raining so will open it up to dry soon.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:26 am

Zero4 wrote:Thanks chaps. I'll put a hairdryer on it tomorrow and a gel pack too.

Use extreme caution with placement of the silica! One member left it in their light and it corroded the entire inside of the light.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:37 am

paddy wright wrote:

Use extreme caution with placement of the silica gel. One member left it in their light and it corroded the entire inside of the light.
Timely reminder as not all bags even contain silica gel. Some are various salts and we all know what salt and water does to cars.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills