Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Can a wheel alignment fix this?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Prets83

Post by Prets83 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:13 am

So I replaced the wishbone which was relatively easy except for undoing the middle bush bolt, what a PITA!
IMG_3876.JPG
IMG_3876.JPG (129.25 KiB) Viewed 310 times
I'm pretty certain that wheel looks centre which proves the other arm was slightly bent.

Now this is changed, my steering wheel points slightly to the left when straight so is this now a tracking/alignment issue?

More concerning is the noise is still there when turning left when doing over 50. No issues with driving but not sure what the issue could be as it's all looks fine underneath. No rubbing when spinning the wheel by hand :(
Last edited by Prets83 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:33 am

My inclination would be to measure centre of front wheel to centre of rear wheel on either side and compare. Rather than a tape measure get a decent straight edge (or stick) and mark it with a pencil to compare. This may require a friend and a couple of set squares).
This way you can ascertain how square it is.
Either way you should get the alignment done. They'll sort your off centre steering wheel for you (and handling + tyre wear).

As has been said the suspension has deliberately engineered weaknesses designed to fail on impact to protect the major components/chassis so I'm sure you'll be OK.
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

Prets83

Post by Prets83 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:08 pm

So today I had my wheel alignment/tracking done by Halfords Autocentre and oddly enough, the service was good and reasonable priced.

Upon completion, one of the advisories where that the nearside steering arm is seized and the adjusted the tracking as close as possible.

Could this be the cause behind the noise I am hearing when steering left at 50+mph? Im taking it to another garage next week anyway to get it checked out.

G600

Post by G600 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:41 pm

Have you tried swapping the wheels over to see if the noise moves with the tyre?
E85 3.0