Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The car wont start after cleaning the injectors

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Ewazix wrote:I've recently spent two days phaffing around getting my phone fixed after I ballsed it up following an on-line guide to rooting it and other custom trickery. In the end I called a halt and gave it to someone who knew what they were doing and all is now well with everything recovered and working. Lesson learned, as Dirty Harry says, "a mans got to know his limitations" and I had overstepped mine.

Maybe you should stop now? 8)
you only realised your own limitation when you realised you weren't getting the result you had anticipated/expected after starting.
the point is you decided to have a crack at fixing something. that's considered as having 'initiative' and possibly the same ethos that the OP decided to employ.
Instead of every sarcastic big-headed fkr on this forum berating him for having a go (marius especially) why don't you offer constructive, helpful words of advice/encouragement if you can?
jeezus
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Chris_D wrote:
Ewazix wrote:I've recently spent two days phaffing around getting my phone fixed after I ballsed it up following an on-line guide to rooting it and other custom trickery. In the end I called a halt and gave it to someone who knew what they were doing and all is now well with everything recovered and working. Lesson learned, as Dirty Harry says, "a mans got to know his limitations" and I had overstepped mine.

you only realised your own limitation when you realised you weren't getting the result you had anticipated/expected after starting.
the point is you decided to have a crack at fixing something. that's considered as having 'initiative' and possibly the same ethos that the OP decided to employ.
Instead of every sarcastic big-headed fkr on this forum berating him for having a go (marius especially) why don't you offer constructive, helpful words of advice/encouragement if you can?
jeezus
Wow mate :o
it wasn't intended as sarcastic, but honest advice. If someone had told me not to feck around with my phone because the online guide was BS and would lead to expensive problems if I got it wrong, I would have gratefully accepted the wise words. It's clear the OP has limited knowledge of what he's doing and probably didn't research or get good advice if he did (e.g. why clean the injectors? it could have been many other problems, why not check codes first? etc), surely best advice seems to be stop before any damage is done, chances are what might have been a cheap fix is being turned in to grief.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Ewazix wrote:
Chris_D wrote:

jeezus
Wow mate :o
it wasn't intended as sarcastic, but honest advice. If someone had told me not to feck around with my phone because the online guide was BS and would lead to expensive problems if I got it wrong, I would have gratefully accepted the wise words. It's clear the OP has limited knowledge of what he's doing and probably didn't research or get good advice if he did (e.g. why clean the injectors? it could have been many other problems, why not check codes first? etc), surely best advice seems to be stop before any damage is done, chances are what might have been a cheap fix is being turned in to grief.
Agreed and definitely worth doing research or gaining advice before wading into something - that's a logical risk-driven approach. but i'd prefer to see respected members here, of which you're one, imparting only useful advice in helping someone out of a sticky situation.
The words of advice and encouragement I got here when I was sorting my own zed at the beginning were totally invaluable and spurred me on to go past my own perceived limitations. Otherwise i may have lost confidence and do what the OP has decided to do and take it over to a mechanic, paying for the priviledge.
I got a quote from an indy for over €2000 for all of the fixes I eventually did myself, all of which were new to me! And as MachineMonkey Mat said himself, it was definitely 'character building' as well as teaching me more than what I'd known before. I can now impart that advice and experience to others if necessary...
I'm just sad I don't know anything about injector cleaning!
:thumbsup:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:54 pm

Marius wrote:why start the job if you have no f***ing clue how to do it properly ?
Then what did he do wrong at cleaning the injectors?

I mean without the hindsigth of the final solution yet it would be entertaining to see what you think will solve his issue :roll:
Lets see what you're made of :D
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Rufus59

Post by Rufus59 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Marius wrote:why start the job if you have no f***ing clue how to do it properly ?
E85 3.0l i Roadster - Titan Silver

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:36 pm

:popcorn:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:50 pm

Hasse wrote: ( i.e. how strong is 3 bar)?
3 bar is about mains water pressure. But because of the tiny valve thats tough to estimate. Ideally you should hook up a pressure meter if you want to know the exact value.
What is the exact current state of your car? Doesnt it run/start at all or do you get the emergency program (~1300rpm stationairy with no throttle response) when driving ?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:14 am

This could turn in to a 'Talk down Striker' saga :popcorn:
(Airplane 2) https://youtu.be/6epe9cFQ_9c?t=33s
:wink:
******* Just injecting a bit of much needed humour to the forum with this ******* :)
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:48 am

Ewazix wrote:This could turn in to a 'Talk down Striker' saga :popcorn:
******* Just injecting a bit of much needed humour to the forum with this ******* :)
:lol:
Comedy's good in any situation...

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:00 pm

On a more serious note for the OP here is some relatively easy to read info on the system (about which I profess no specific knowledge) page 37 mentions that the DME will selectively cut of injectors if sensor readings or misfire faults are detected, so as intimated by several contributors there are many possible reasons for your symptoms (which may show in your fault code log). Hopefully this article helps with understanding what is a very complex system (for anybody like me brought up on needle jets and points anyway :) )

BMW E85 M54 DME and fule management systems Info http://www.bmwclub.lv/files/04a_MS45_DME_Part_2.pdf
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

maxman

Post by maxman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Chris_D wrote:
Ewazix wrote:This could turn in to a 'Talk down Striker' saga :popcorn:
:lol:
Comedy's good in any situation...
:rofl: :rofl:

Pro3ltr

Post by Pro3ltr » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:08 pm

You know where you are with jets and points....
That's why I refuse to convert my classic mini to electronic ignition.....
Z3... 3lt manual. Heated memory leather. Auto lights wipers. Xenons. Cruise. 230bhp.
Austin Mini automatic.... 998... 35bhp. Manual seats wipers lights...
Both as much Fun as each other!!!!

obewan

Post by obewan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Not to mention Condensors!
Those were the days
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Pro3ltr

Post by Pro3ltr » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:46 pm

:D
Z3... 3lt manual. Heated memory leather. Auto lights wipers. Xenons. Cruise. 230bhp.
Austin Mini automatic.... 998... 35bhp. Manual seats wipers lights...
Both as much Fun as each other!!!!