Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rocker cover grommets

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
RickZ4

Rocker cover grommets

Post by RickZ4 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:33 pm

A tell-tale whisp of smoke emanating from the driver's side of the bonnet while sitting at the traffic lights the other day alerted me to that commonest of oil leaks... and 42 quid at the stealer didn't sound bad for a genuine gasket kit.

Looking on here, folks recommend replacing the bolt grommets at the same time, so my stealer's helper went on his computer and said there were 3 or 4 different types and 18 in all... costing over 50 quid! :cry: That's where I draw the line. How do I get a set of sensibly priced grommets and what do I need?

Also, is 'red' RTV on the kinks ok for this job?

Thanks for any advice.
07 2.5i Sport Auto

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Rocker cover grommets

Post by Chris_D » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Replaced my gasket with elring items. Both gasket and grommets, bought from dutch online retailer for buttons.
Can go back into the order if u really need type?
I also used permatex 1 gasket maker in the corners and halfmoons but a tiny dab.
Make sure to pattern-tighten ur cover on replacement.
Have a butchers' at my 'betty's first tantrum' thread as mine is documented there...
Post up results and good luck :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

RickZ4

Rocker cover grommets

Post by RickZ4 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. You didn't sound overly enamoured with your Dutch online retailers on that particular thread...
I'm trying to find the correct part number(s) for an N52. RealOEM doesn't seem to show the grommets for the rocker cover.
I'm now also reading that the bolts are one time use only because they are aluminium and stretch when torqued.
07 2.5i Sport Auto

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Rocker cover grommets

Post by Chris_D » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:09 pm

RickZ4 wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Chris. You didn't sound overly enamoured with your Dutch online retailers on that particular thread...
I'm trying to find the correct part number(s) for an N52. RealOEM doesn't seem to show the grommets for the rocker cover.
I'm now also reading that the bolts are one time use only because they are aluminium and stretch when torqued.
you found the thread then...10 points lol. yeah, they were a pita to deal with as i remember. got there in the end tho.
strange that realoem doesnt spec the grommets. try giving a dealer another call perhaps? if there are different types then he should be able to spec yours on giving them ur VIN, as tho u were asking them to do the job etc.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.