Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Low hum, ho hum...

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Low hum, ho hum...

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:01 pm

Took the zed for a blast round the country roads at the back of Vleuten today just to exercise it a bit. It's been laid-up for a few weeks while I rag the proverbial sh!te out of the client loaner Skoda, so thought it best to blow off the accumulated cobwebs :lol:

Couple of issues:

Noticed a low-pitched hum emanating from the rear passenger side wheelwell. Sort of like a vibration but more of a 'pneumatic' deep-breathing noise, if that make any sense. any ideas? are there any vac lines round there? :?

Door locks seemed a bit pernickety too as unlocking both driver and passenger door on different occasions and the door didnt want to open immediately. that issue seems to have gone as soon as it arrived tho. need to grease the locks?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Low hum, ho hum...

Post by markeg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:13 pm

When my door started sticking, I tried the grease etc, but eventually, I had to replace the door actuator. Some on here have used a cable replacement kit?
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Low hum, ho hum...

Post by markeg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:14 pm

oh, and could the rear passenger wheel well sound be your shock? My fronts wheezed a bit when they were on the way out...

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Low hum, ho hum...

Post by firebobby » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:15 pm

You probably have a hibernating squirrel living in the wheel arch, did you not check before driving off :poke:
You will find the more you use it, the better the locks will get Chris :wink:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Low hum, ho hum...

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:16 pm

markeg wrote:oh, and could the rear passenger wheel well sound be your shock? My fronts wheezed a bit when they were on the way out...
Thx mark. Weird that passenger door, then driver door wouldnt open. Only happened once on each door. Weird.
Hum is constant and around the 40Hz mark. Occurs ar standstill and moving with engine running/idling. No increase in pitch or frequency with throttle input.... :?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Low hum, ho hum...

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:25 pm

firebobby wrote:You probably have a hibernating squirrel living in the wheel arch, did you not check before driving off :poke:
You will find the more you use it, the better the locks will get Chris :wink:
Fred fred fred, though i let you and family survive the blade-shaprness test of my traditional beheading axe last week, does not give you the right to impart useless, idiotic advice. It's pointless, unhelpful, irritating and will only serve to inspire me to pay the fred hovel another impromptu visit, maybe this time to test beheading-effectiveness capability of said axe... :wink:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Low hum, ho hum...

Post by markeg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:06 pm

Chris_D wrote:
markeg wrote:oh, and could the rear passenger wheel well sound be your shock? My fronts wheezed a bit when they were on the way out...
Thx mark. Weird that passenger door, then driver door wouldnt open. Only happened once on each door. Weird.
Hum is constant and around the 40Hz mark. Occurs ar standstill and moving with engine running/idling. No increase in pitch or frequency with throttle input.... :?
hmm. Maybe you've found Jonny Essex's missing turbo ?

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Low hum, ho hum...

Post by firebobby » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:30 am

markeg wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
Noooooooo Markeg, Chris the fruit loop will be visiting you too with his mad axe :D
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Low hum, ho hum...

Post by buzyg » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:16 am

markeg wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
:lol: :rofl: :thumbsup:

Sticks

Low hum, ho hum...

Post by Sticks » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Not the fuel pump is it? Mine hums if I put Tesco petrol in it. I've issues with the locking which I understand to be the G5 module, which I will get around to getting fixed. dying car battery could do it too.

Nick
3.0 SE Auto, Sapphire Black, Elipsoids, Xenons, Sat Nav, BT, Cruise, MFSW, 6CD, non-rfts.

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Low hum, ho hum...

Post by paulgs1000 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:52 pm

I had a wheel bearing go on my 2 litre - it sounded nothing like any other wheel bearing sound I'd heard. Sounded like a toothed wheel hum. . . maybe?
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Low hum, ho hum...

Post by Chris_D » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:13 pm

Weirdly, both issues haven't been back since. Having said that, I actually havent used it much- once or twice run up to temp out i to the fields round me then back.
Fingers crossed it was a one-off occurrence that day.....