Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric Water Pump Failure - Poll

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4

Has your electric water pump failed (N52 engines - facelift)?

Yes
27%
Not yet
73%

Total votes: 125

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:26 am

E85, 84k, Water-pump was still working and in good condition. Took the car in for a cracked thermostat housing, Dealership fitted a new water pump too (I offered to pay but they stuck it on the AA parts a labor cover). :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:06 pm

DMC63 wrote:E85, 84k, Water-pump was still working and in good condition. Took the car in for a cracked thermostat housing, Dealership fitted a new water pump too (I offered to pay but they stuck it on the AA parts a labor cover). :thumbsup:
Hi, your car doesn't have the electronic water pump this threads talking about :wink:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:31 pm

57 plate coupe on 33k as far as i am aware mine has not yet been replaced.
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 am

Smartbear wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:06 pm
DMC63 wrote:E85, 84k, Water-pump was still working and in good condition. Took the car in for a cracked thermostat housing, Dealership fitted a new water pump too (I offered to pay but they stuck it on the AA parts a labor cover). :thumbsup:
Hi, your car doesn't have the electronic water pump this threads talking about :wink:
Rob
Now I feel left out, rejected, less than :( And slightly embarrassed :oops:

That would explain the rubber band thingy going round the end of it from the engine.

That's probably why it hadn't failed. It wasn't electric. Less to go wrong. Hehe.

bobo075

Post by bobo075 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 am

Mine seems to work well but the car is 10 years old so i just ordered a new pump and a new thermostat ;) will fit them soon

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:49 am

DMC63 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 am
Rob

That would explain the rubber band thingy going round the end of it from the engine.

That's probably why it hadn't failed. It wasn't electric. Less to go wrong. Hehe.
That's probably why your car uses more fuel & produces less power, more parasitic drag on the engine :poke:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:49 am

bobo075 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 am Mine seems to work well but the car is 10 years old so i just ordered a new pump and a new thermostat ;) will fit them soon
I wouldn't bother replacing it until it goes. It's an expensive piece of kit. You current one could be fine for years to come.
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:51 am

Roundozo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:49 am
bobo075 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 am Mine seems to work well but the car is 10 years old so i just ordered a new pump and a new thermostat ;) will fit them soon
I wouldn't bother replacing it until it goes. It's an expensive piece of kit. You current one could be fine for years to come.

It's expensive, but not as expensive as a replacement engine after it's been cooked! :o
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:55 am

Smartbear wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:51 am

It's expensive, but not as expensive as a replacement engine after it's been cooked! :o
Rob
Yes but that's like saying "I'm buying a new gearbox, just in case it goes". There's preventative measures and then there's overkill. If money is no issue then i suppose it's up to the person. I personally would just keep an eye on engine temps. He does state it's "working fine" so why replace something that's not broken.

bobo075

Post by bobo075 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:38 am

Roundozo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:55 am

Rob
Yes but that's like saying "I'm buying a new gearbox, just in case it goes". There's preventative measures and then there's overkill. If money is no issue then i suppose it's up to the person. I personally would just keep an eye on engine temps. He does state it's "working fine" so why replace something that's not broken.
Yes it is quite expensive but what is it against the cost that you will have if it goes down ??

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Roundozo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:55 am

Rob
Not quite the same thing though, a gearbox usually lasts for the life of the car-these electronic water pumps have proven that they don't!
Plus a replacement oe pump is £225 ish as opposed to thousands for a new gearbox :wink:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

alekos911

Post by alekos911 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:31 pm

I had it when my car hit 25kmiles. I know pretty soon, I guess mine was faulty in the first place, or maybe our hot summers took their toll on the pump. Luckily when mine failed it was -6C outside so it didnt fry the engine.

Just before it failed, I noticed the fan working hard without reason and as a bonus...the heater didnt blow any hot air at all.
Thank God who created man to create these cars :-)
(ps: Because I am trying to improve my fluency in English, please feel free to correct me whenever it's necessary)

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:06 pm

And that's my point. They usually show signs before they drastically fail and kill the engine. I would agree with getting one in for a preemptive strike if they go boom, shortly followed by the engine going boom but on 99% of the cases failed water pump, there are usually tell tale signs that it's on its way.

I do agree the gearbox comparison is a bit rubbish but it's all i could think of at the time. :D

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:06 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:49 am
DMC63 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 am

Rob

That's probably why your car uses more fuel & produces less power, more parasitic drag on the engine :poke:
Rob
This thread is not going well, I feel even worse now :(

GreyZed

Post by GreyZed » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:29 pm

Roundozo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:06 pm And that's my point. They usually show signs before they drastically fail and kill the engine. I would agree with getting one in for a preemptive strike if they go boom, shortly followed by the engine going boom but on 99% of the cases failed water pump, there are usually tell tale signs that it's on its way.

I do agree the gearbox comparison is a bit rubbish but it's all i could think of at the time. :D
No they do not show advance signs of failure. If your heater is not blowing hot air and the fan is running then the water in your cooling system is STATIC and you will get local hot spots around the cylinder head which the N52 will not deal with very well. If you are lucky enough to get to 60k miles on the original pump I would seriously consider a preventative maintenance replacement. Not sure I would bother doing the stat as many do but if you do please do not fit anything other than a BMW sourced one as it is a mapped unit and the ECU does not like aftermarket spurious versions.
Last edited by GreyZed on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!