Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric Water Pump Failure - Poll

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4

Has your electric water pump failed (N52 engines - facelift)?

Yes
27%
Not yet
73%

Total votes: 125

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:07 am

I'm trying to see just how common this failure is.
Has your electric water pump failed (N52 face lift E85/E86)?

If you've been unlucky how many miles when it failed?
Last edited by Marlon on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:26 am

Mine didn't actually fail but was pulsing the cooling fan from cold start up-I noticed the fan reving up/down & my indi hooked it up and read "implausible pump speed" (87k)
New oe pump sourced for £280 and Bobs your uncle :thumbsup:
Rob
Last edited by Smartbear on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:43 am

First E86 had a water pump fail at 9 years and 60K miles - so I sold it. :lol:

Then I realised what I had done, so I bought another - time will tell!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:50 am

96k and still going. Although I've no idea if it was replaced before i got the car.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:18 am

Sold mine with over 100k and it will still working
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 am

How does the pump in the N52 fail exactly?
Ive replaced waterpumps on an M52Tu engine due to the plastic impeller simply eroding away and pushing less coolant through the system. Replacement had metal impeller.
Replaced M54 pump and thermostat as a matter of course as i had the oil filter housing gasket leak. Seemed to solve an intermittant cooling issue although both still seemed functional.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:37 am

My 57 plate 3.0 is just shy of 40K - seen quite a few comments on here about the N52 engine/pump so was planning to change mine at 50K and call it planned maintenance :wink:

eyup

Post by eyup » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:37 am

Last year. Just over 60k mileage. Dec 2006 coupe. Expensive :thumbsdown:
Coupe - Montego Blue. 108's, simplest mod - second medical box :-)

The journey so far;
i) 1998 Ford Focus 1.8 Litre
ii) The Z
iii) what else is needed?

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:44 am

Crazy Harry wrote:My 57 plate 3.0 is just shy of 40K - seen quite a few comments on here about the N52 engine/pump so was planning to change mine at 50K and call it planned maintenance :wink:
living up to your name there :wink: Thats one hell of an expensive 'preventative maintenance'!
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:55 am

Chris_D wrote:How does the pump in the N52 fail exactly?
Ive replaced waterpumps on an M52Tu engine due to the plastic impeller simply eroding away and pushing less coolant through the system. Replacement had metal impeller.
Replaced M54 pump and thermostat as a matter of course as i had the oil filter housing gasket leak. Seemed to solve an intermittant cooling issue although both still seemed functional.
It seems to fail electrically, not mechanically-they fail to deliver the volume of water required by the ecu :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

GreyZed

Post by GreyZed » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:33 pm

Smartbear wrote:
It seems to fail electrically, not mechanically-they fail to deliver the volume of water required by the ecu :o
Rob
They can fail catastrophically and without prior warning. The Pierburg variable flow water pump used in the N52 is electrically not mechanically driven so typically does not fail gradually as a belt driven unit may (no rattling noise or weeps from failed bearings etc.) Instead when it's on board PCB dies it just decides to stop talking to the ECU and fails static (should really fail at a fixed flow rate to give at least some water movement and cooling to get you home/out of danger).

So upon failure the water in your cooling system immediately stops moving completely causing a rise from normal temp to full overheat in under a minute. Your car will enter limp mode and you are stuck. Crap idea, crap design.
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:57 pm

GreyZed wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
Rob
They can fail catastrophically and without prior warning. The Pierburg variable flow water pump used in the N52 is electrically not mechanically driven so typically does not fail gradually as a belt driven unit may (no rattling noise or weeps from failed bearings etc.) Instead when it's on board PCB dies it just decides to stop talking to the ECU and fails static (should really fail at a fixed flow rate to give at least some water movement and cooling to get you home/out of danger).

So upon failure the water in your cooling system immediately stops moving completely causing a rise from normal temp to full overheat in under a minute. Your car will enter limp mode and you are stuck. Crap idea, crap design.
Interesting. and a bit bonkers.
beginning to think i made the right choice going for a pre-facelift with all i've heard.
might give the coupe a miss altogether now 8)
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:07 pm

2007 E86, 59k miles still on original pump.. :? :?

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:35 pm

2007 coupe on just over 70K. No issues at the moment. Now that I've said that in public the damn thing will probably fail next week !

Don't know if this was replaced under previous ownership. Is there a way to check if original pump or not ?
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Marlon wrote:
Crazy Harry wrote:My 57 plate 3.0 is just shy of 40K - seen quite a few comments on here about the N52 engine/pump so was planning to change mine at 50K and call it planned maintenance :wink:
living up to your name there :wink: Thats one hell of an expensive 'preventative maintenance'!
Not in my world! last time I looked they were £227 on flebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-PIER ... SwcUBYQD6Z.

I rate the cost of a breakdown away from home; possible overnight stay or late back via relay; or an unknown garage putting spanners on my car if they have the part - let alone a spoilt run out to be worth changing it early. I'd rather change my own at a time of my choosing :D