Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil leak

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Sgr74

Oil leak

Post by Sgr74 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:22 am

Changed the leaking rocker cover gasket two weeks ago. Just changed the front rear wishbone bush today and noticed there seems to be a lot of fresh oil on the passenger side of the engine underneath. Old oil? or is there something else to be worried about on that side of the engine?
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Oil leak

Post by Chris_D » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:39 am

Sgr74 wrote:Changed the leaking rocker cover gasket two weeks ago. Just changed the front rear wishbone bush today and noticed there seems to be a lot of fresh oil on the passenger side of the engine underneath. Old oil? or is there something else to be worried about on that side of the engine?
Oil filter housing gasket.
Can you see oil in the waffle structure on the engine block behind the air intake? If so its prob the gasket. Oil will slowly work its way down the side of the block and probably smell when driven.
Had to do mine as i spotted the same:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (144.09 KiB) Viewed 410 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Sgr74

Oil leak

Post by Sgr74 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:50 am

Chris_D wrote:
Sgr74 wrote:Changed the leaking rocker cover gasket two weeks ago. Just changed the front rear wishbone bush today and noticed there seems to be a lot of fresh oil on the passenger side of the engine underneath. Old oil? or is there something else to be worried about on that side of the engine?
Oil filter housing gasket.
Can you see oil in the waffle structure on the engine block behind the air intake? If so its prob the gasket. Oil will slowly work its way down the side of the block and probably smell when driven.
Had to do mine as i spotted the same:
image.jpeg
Thanks Chris. I'll need to get it up on ramps with all the plastics off and check that.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Mike6

Oil leak

Post by Mike6 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:37 pm

When the oil is changed access to the sump plug is through a pull down flap on the undertray. Its a small flap and when I changed my oil the initial splurge of oil went beyond the hole and onto the undertray. It could be this you are seeing rather than an oil leak.