Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Random overheating problem....

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
85genius

Post by 85genius » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:44 pm

alekos911 wrote:Sounds like a water pump on its way out. If you turn the heater up does it blow hot air?
Heater has been working fine but not tried it since the weather got good
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Rufus59

Post by Rufus59 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:51 pm

85genius wrote:Just wierd that there are no logged faults on the ecu
Sticky thermostat would not show a code on the ECU. Get it out and drop it in a mug of warm water and see if it opens/closes :thumbsup:
E85 3.0l i Roadster - Titan Silver

alekos911

Post by alekos911 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:13 am

You can always try to trigger the coolant bleed procedure to see if the pump is working. To do this turn the key (but do not start the engine) set temperature to high and turn on ventilation at its lower setting, then press and hold for 10secs the accelerator pedal. From that point on the pump will start to cycle for 12 minutes give or take.
Thank God who created man to create these cars :-)
(ps: Because I am trying to improve my fluency in English, please feel free to correct me whenever it's necessary)

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:35 am

alekos911 wrote:You can always try to trigger the coolant bleed procedure to see if the pump is working. To do this turn the key (but do not start the engine) set temperature to high and turn on ventilation at its lower setting, then press and hold for 10secs the accelerator pedal. From that point on the pump will start to cycle for 12 minutes give or take.
Not sure how much that would tell you, my pump was still working but wasn't reaching the required flow rate.
My car never over-heated & I had no warning lights on the dash :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:48 am

Maybe the radiator fan pack has stopped working , pretty common problem as the motor partially seizes

Problem usually is seen if temp rises when stopped or in traffic but fine once driving

Drpaul

Post by Drpaul » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:41 pm

I've have a similar problem with my Z4. It runs up to temperature, stays that temperature for a couple of miles then overheats. If I turn the engine off and straight back on the temperature falls to normal and stays there. Local garage unable to fix. It's an ongoing problem!