Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag Light On

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
KerryA

Airbag Light On

Post by KerryA » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi all, my first post and its a problem. :D

I picked up a 2.2 e85 on Saturday that had been sat for almost a year, in fact the 200mile trip back was twice the distance it had been driven in the past year.

This morning the red airbag light came on the dash, I have an OBD reader thing and it churned out the following codes:

93B1 No message (5) from satellite,B-pillar, left
93B3 No message (7) from satellite,B-pillar, right
93B7 No message (B) from satellite,B-pillar, left
93BB No message (C) from satellite,B-pillar, right
93BC No message (20) from satellite,B-pillar, left
93BD No message (21) from satellite,B-pillar, right
93BA No message (11) from satellite,B-pillar, right
93BB No message (12) from satellite,B-pillar, left
93C7 Deactivation:satellite,B-pillar, left
93C8 Deactivation:satellite,B-pillar, right
93F0 Fault during activation and deactivation of passenger airbag

The light came on while driving on a straight road in the dry.

Can anyone shed any light on all of this?

Thanks Kerry

andyfanshawe

Airbag Light On

Post by andyfanshawe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi Kerry.
Sorry to hear you are having problems.
The satellite refers to the airbag module under the door cards.
If someone has had the door trims off to replace the window regulators, or similar work, and has had to switch on the ignition during the process (when the black airbag modules have been removed) it will have set the above codes.
Interesting it refers to both sides.
My next move would be to attempt to clear the codes and see if they come back.
Next step would be to remove the drivers side door card and actually see if it is plugged in.
Whereabouts are you in the country?

Andy.

KerryA

Airbag Light On

Post by KerryA » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi Andy thanks for replying, I don't know if the door cards have been off at any time but there is a missing screw cover on the passenger side by the door pull.

I have the c110+ OBD reader and it will allow me to try and clear the codes which turns the light out for maybe a millisecond then straight back on.

It was fine on the drive back home but came on at 30mph on a straight road.

The last owner did buy a new battery for it as the old one wouldn't hold charge so I'm wondering if they shorted something.

I'm in Crewe by the way.

Edit: Just to add that the c110 can't read the satellite b-pillar option in the menu, it comes up with communication error, but can read the airbag option and attempt to clear it.

andyfanshawe

Airbag Light On

Post by andyfanshawe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:32 am

I would be tempted to remove the drivers door trim and just check the airbag black box is actually plugged in. Its an awkward connector, so possible it wasn't fully engaged properly. Loads of good youtube vids on door card removal.
Really needs plugging into a better scanner that can go into the modules individually.
Pity you are not closer to me!

Good luck.
Andy.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag Light On

Post by mac27040 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:11 pm

the passenger module is not under the door car but under the plastic cill behind the seat. basically common fault if roof drain holes get blocked and water runs down inside and damages the module, did it to me. Your in luck as i have a spare new module which im happy to sell. pm me if your interested. I bought one from BMW at over £200 but now have a spare.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

KerryA

Airbag Light On

Post by KerryA » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:07 am

Thanks Mac, I've just ordered a bcables so if that doesn't work I'll PM you :thumbsup: