Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LED Indicator issues

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
gmorris03

LED Indicator issues

Post by gmorris03 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi,

I recently fitted rear LED indicators to my E86, whilst they've thrown up no warning lights and appear to work normally I noticed the other day that they flicker on and off for a few seconds once the car is turned on. They are CANBUS but were also eBay specials.

Is this something other people have experienced and sorted or is it just a result of me buying cheepo bulbs!

Thanks!
3.0l Si Sport Coupe, Montego Blue.
Gone: 2007 2.0L Sport, Montego Blue.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

LED Indicator issues

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:39 pm

'CANBUS' LEDs are simply normal LEDs with load resistors used to mimic normal bulb characteristics that fool the car. In my experience they fail prematurely which I suspect is due to heat.

With normal LEDs the flickering on start is part of the cold bulb check, but I would expect the resistors on CANBUS ones to cancel this out so they may be failing but I'd not put money on it.

See how they go and if one does fail get a decent set from Osram or Philips and have the checks coded out.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.