Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cold start hesitation through gears

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Jez_m

Post by Jez_m » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:34 am

Does anyone else get this?

Upon starting from cold, engine fires up fine and idle is strong / normal. Pull away in first say with medium throttle application, change in to 2nd gear foot back on the accelerator and it hesitates / holds back.. almost like misfiring and refusing to rev. Only happens on more than light throttle and the problem goes away completely after about 2 minutes when there is a little warmth in the engine.

Any thoughts? Has been doing this for well over a year now. Had inspection II service about 1000 miles ago and nothing was noted.

Can't find anything on the search however i seem to remember reading something somewhere about cam position sensors...

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Spark plugs - were they changed. Also any cracks along induction hoses.

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Spark plugs - were they changed. Also any cracks along induction hoses.

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Jez_m wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:34 am Does anyone else get this?

Upon starting from cold, engine fires up fine and idle is strong / normal. Pull away in first say with medium throttle application, change in to 2nd gear foot back on the accelerator and it hesitates / holds back.. almost like misfiring and refusing to rev. Only happens on more than light throttle and the problem goes away completely after about 2 minutes when there is a little warmth in the engine.

Any thoughts? Has been doing this for well over a year now. Had inspection II service about 1000 miles ago and nothing was noted.

Can't find anything on the search however i seem to remember reading something somewhere about cam position sensors...
I have what sounds like exactly the same issue.the car runs great no other symptoms or issues just cold start for maybe a minute it does as you describe.
Changed plugs around 4 months ago no change,swopped the split hose boot thingy with the 5 pipes,no change can't see any other evidence of split pipes.
I would be really interested in a solution to this issue.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Jez_m

Post by Jez_m » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:24 am

hmmm, well my plugs were done about 500 miles ago with inspection II service so not them.

I do have the split hose as above but have sealed that up so not sure that is what's affecting it.

Coil packs? But then it would happen all the time...

Injector(s) not flowing fully until warned through??

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Jez_m wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:24 am hmmm, well my plugs were done about 500 miles ago with inspection II service so not them.

I do have the split hose as above but have sealed that up so not sure that is what's affecting it.

Coil packs? But then it would happen all the time...

Injector(s) not flowing fully until warned through??
If you've got a split air hose then replace with a new one in case your repair isn't hermetically sealed-they're not very expensive :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold