Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HID Problem, Buzzing in speakers

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
k31ron

Post by k31ron » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Recently installed a HID kit, as I live in the country and even with uprated Halogens the standard lamps are really poor compared to my boring cars. However getting the following strange behaviour.

Engine off, Stereo on , HIDS off.....all OK
Engine On, Stereo on, HIDS off.....all OK
Engine off, Stereo on , HIDS on.....all OK
Engine On, Stereo on, HIDS on ..... repetitive, buzzing through speakers.
Engine Off, Stereo Off, HIDS on ..... all OK
Engine On, Stereo Off, HIDS on ..... slightly louder repetitive, buzzing through speakers.

I'd understand HID's can produce RF interference but that doesn't seem to align with what i'm getting and whats strange (to me at least ) is that it 1) only happens when the engine is on and 2) that happens and even gets louder with the stereo off! (it also doesn't vary with rpm)

any ideas on problem or solution?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Just out of interest where did you install the ballasts? Can you move them to test?
It's a known problem of HID's that they can cause RF interference, but vehicle specific. Not heard of it on a Z4 before
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

k31ron

Post by k31ron » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:01 pm

Ballasts are mounted in the headlight's.

Annoyingly I tested them when fitting for interference but not with the engine on, so didn't encounter any issues... Will try to find time to get wheels off and unplug each individually at weekend to see if I can narrow it down.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:21 pm

That's what I'd do
Unplug one at a time then if you find a faulty 'side' swap an item at a time of bulb and ballast side to side and eliminate if you have a faulty component
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

k31ron

Post by k31ron » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:06 pm

After disconnecting each ballast still couldn't narrow down the issue (or both where screwed) disconnected stereo from speakers and still occurs! Finally traced it to the proximity of my crossovers to wiring loom ( I had them located under the glove box) , moved them out and all good... They are now sat in passenger foot well while I try to figure out where to put them... Very annoying problem....but solved.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:39 pm

k31ron wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:06 pm After disconnecting each ballast still couldn't narrow down the issue (or both where screwed) disconnected stereo from speakers and still occurs! Finally traced it to the proximity of my crossovers to wiring loom ( I had them located under the glove box) , moved them out and all good... They are now sat in passenger foot well while I try to figure out where to put them... Very annoying problem....but solved.
Ah well in that case you're 90% of the way there just from knowing the issue :thumbsup: