Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Strut brace mount fracture

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jackboy

Post by jackboy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:28 am

I've been getting a creaking groaning sounds for a few weeks that was driving me nuts. Checked on here and of course the answer was waiting for me. Cracked strut brace mount that came away as soon as I pulled on it.

Is it worth trying to weld it up or ditch the original and change to something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-RACING- ... 2493934478

My dad has a welder and have done some welding in the past but the actual bracket looks beyond repair and so i'd have to grind off the older one and buy a replacement bracket etc and it's more than possible the other side will go too. Car is 04 amd 70,000 miles so thought maybe just get a bolt on one as will be easier to fit and hopefully no more problems,

What do people think?

Cheers
Attachments
IMG_5434.JPG
IMG_5434.JPG (131.98 KiB) Viewed 542 times

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:40 pm

Whatever you decide to do, don't drive it until it's fixed.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:01 pm

Not sure if there is s bolt on fix? It's not a common problem but it has been know to happen.

If all else fails send me a pm I am sure I can help either welding it back on or making a bolt on fix.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

jackboy

Post by jackboy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Thanks for the offer machine monkey.

Scooba_Steve - what do you say that? I know the handling will be different but are you thinking dangerous to drive or might cause more damage to the car?

Cheers

Neilc

Post by Neilc » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:38 pm

I've got the ultra brace on mine. Worth noting where it fixes in the centre your bonnet switch is mounted there so you have to get a little creative refitting it.
2.5Si Stirling grey Z4, green cotton induction kit, front & rear strut brace, clear third brake light, 19" deep dish alloys, Eibach Pro springs and colour coded duck tail spoiler.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:18 am

jackboy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:09 pm Thanks for the offer machine monkey.

Scooba_Steve - what do you say that? I know the handling will be different but are you thinking dangerous to drive or might cause more damage to the car?

Cheers
Yes, its structural not just for show, TIS states not to drive with any of the front or rear braces removed.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.